We have represented both plaintiffs and defendants in defamation actions, and we advise clients on how to balance First Amendment protections with reputation safeguards. We are especially familiar with the oft-misunderstood SLAPP (Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation) suits, which are lawsuits that are used to chill First Amendment rights to free speech and public participation in public policy.
Amanda Hyland represents Red Ventures, a portfolio of digital brands that include Bankrate, The Points Guy, creditcards.com, Healthline, and reviews.com. She provides day-to-day outside counsel on matters of media, advertising, and intellectual property to Red Ventures and manages its trademark portfolio.
- Current representation of major coatings company in defense of trademark, trade secret, defamation, and other claims
Currently representing Gulf Synthetics in an action brought by former business partner and his new company claiming trademark infringement, defamation and trade secret misappropriation relating to the deck coatings business.
Achieved voluntary dismissal with prejudice of libel case against FOX 5 reporter by persuading plaintiff that sanctions and attorney's fees would be mandated under Georgia's anti-SLAPP statute.
Upon receipt of an anti-SLAPP notice, Plaintiff voluntarily dismissed its defamation complaint, which sought damages relating to FOX 5's investigative reporting regarding health conditions occurring at the Plaintiff's eyebrow-waxing business.
Obtained six-figure jury verdict against individual defendants and a country club on claims of defamation, harassment, breach of fiduciary duty, and conspiracy based in part on successful investigation and presentation of defendants’ spoliation.
- Obtained jury verdict in favor of a non-profit advocacy group in trademark and defamation jury trial
Successfully defended non-profit advocacy group against claim that it did not own rights to its name.
- April 18, 2019
- February 9, 2017
- October 4, 2016
- October 4, 2016
- September 30, 2016
- September 27, 2016
- "A Pending Bill Would Prohibit Retribution for Negative TripAdvisor and Yelp Reviews," The Washington PostSeptember 23, 2016
- June 17, 2016
- "Taylor English's Amanda Hyland Recognized Among Up and Coming Lawyers in Georgia," Atlanta Patch, East Cobb Patch, Marietta Patch and Smyrna PatchApril 21, 2016
- "Dealing with Negative Feedback Online: A Restaurant's Guide to Taking Legal Action… Or Not," Georgia Restaurant Association’s Legal Knowledge CenterFebruary 1, 2017
- January 2017
- January 25, 2017
- March 31, 2016
- When Protecting Children Prompts Lawsuits Deborah A. Ausburn