The Insurance practice group at Taylor English is broad in scope and practice, and our attorneys have substantial experience in issues that run the breadth of the industry. With extensive in-house and outside counsel experience, Taylor English attorneys understand the business and regulatory insurance environment in addition to the legal issues that shape the entire insurance industry. This combination of legal and industry experience enables us to implement practical and cost effective solutions for our clients.
Taylor English attorneys have handled diverse insurance matters, including:
- Representation of insurance company receiverships. Represented the Tennessee Commissioner of Commerce and Insurance as Receiver of a failed surplus lines carrier and a nationwide environmental risk carrier. Worked closely with members of the International Association of Insurance Receivers in its formative stages,
- Acquisition, corporate and board counsel for life and health insurers,
- General Counsel of multi-billion dollar life and health insurance company,
- Multi-billion dollar health insurance corporate acquisition transactions,
- Served on board of seven-person Finance Committee responsible for insurance company’s $25 billion investment portfolio,
- Appearances before state Insurance Departments on regulatory matters,
- Formation and operation of insurance holding companies and related acquisition of domestic insurance company shell entities,
- Represented the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance in insurance regulatory development and enforcement as an Assistant Attorney General,
- Represented casualty, life and surplus lines carriers in their regulatory compliance and acquisition strategies,
- Formation of premium finance company affiliates and layering risk in the reinsurance markets,
- Representation of insurance company receiverships for failed insurance carriers,
- Defense services for insurance companies in both the general liability and professional liability matters,
- Represented national insurance company in putative nationwide class action alleging overcharge of insurance premiums resulting in denial of class certification denied and dismissal of case,
- Represented investment and insurance company in loan transactions valued in excess of $1 billion, and
- Served as real estate regional counsel for insurance company in real estate transactions totaling almost $3 billion.
Additionally we routinely handle litigation matters covered by insurance and insurance coverage disputes, which provides the firm with insights into the needs and concerns of insurance companies on a day-to-day basis.
First-chaired a four day jury trial in an admitted negligence case in which Plaintiff asserted that she began to suffer neck pain shortly after an automobile accident. The plaintiff underwent three cervical spine surgeries, the first surgery occurring a mere five months after the accident. Plaintiff had no significant complaints of neck pain prior to the accident and the defense took the position that the need for the surgeries was not due to the symptomology (neck ...
Represented policyholder in coverage litigation where client sought a declaratory judgment and damages against two insurers that issued $117 million in primary and excess commercial general liability insurance coverage. The Georgia Court of Appeals affirmed the trial court’s partial ruling for policyholder and reversed that portion of the trial court’s ruling adverse to the policyholder. The Court of Appeals ruled that the policyholder is entitled to its ...
Defended client in a clear liability accident that the Plaintiff claimed caused the need for undergo surgery on his cervical spine. Causation of the injury was disputed and taken to a jury. Plaintiff’s counsel requested over $200,000 in damages. The jury returned a verdict of $1,860.
Represented an insurance company in a lawsuit and obtained a dismissal of the lawsuit, with prejudice, due to the fact that Plaintiff failed to effect proper service prior to or following the expiration of the statute of limitations.
Successfully defended client in an admitted negligence personal injury action in DeKalb County. Plaintiff claimed to have suffered a significant shoulder injury as a result of a rear-end automobile accident. He eventually underwent two surgeries, including a total shoulder replacement. In addition to his medical expenses, Plaintiff, a private jet pilot, also claimed a significant amount of lost income because he was unable to work. The jury returned a verdict ...
With only a month to prepare for trial, successfully defended client in a pedestrian versus automobile personal injury action in DeKalb County where the pedestrian was injured while crossing a busy street. The pedestrian claimed she was crossing in the crosswalk and had the walk sign when she entered the cross walk. The Defendant consistently testified that she had a green light and that the pedestrian was running across the street, not in the crosswalk, waving down a ...
Represented an insurance company in a declaratory judgment matter and obtained summary judgment wherein the Court ruled that the insurance policy issued by the client did not provide coverage for a loss that occurred less than two hours before the application for insurance was submitted.
- Partner Brynda Rodriguez Insley Joins Taylor English with Three AssociatesMarch 20, 2019
- HR Daily Advisor, June 5, 2018
- October 4, 2016
- By: Henry M. Quillian III and David ForestnerJuly 18, 2018
- Sheraton Atlanta Hotel, November 8 – 9, 2018
- "Employment Practices Liability Insurance," Independent Insurance Agents of Georgia: Annual Fall ConferenceGwinnett Infinite Energy Center, October 13, 2017
- "Construction Law for The General Practitioner," Institute of Continuing Legal Education: State Bar SeriesAugust 17, 2017
- "Brewery and Distillery Business Entity Selection, Formation, Finance and Insurance," National Business Institute SeminarSmyrna, Ga., March 21, 2017
David Forestner shares some of his most important tips concerning what you need to know to help your clients get the most out of their insurance policies while staying out of trouble yourself. This topic covers the duty to determine existence of insurance coverage, the importance of choice of law in litigating insurance issues and insurance in the M&A context.