Entertainment, Sports and Media
- Entertainment, Sports and Media
Our clients strive for perfection on the field, on the set and in the studio. We match their creativity with innovative legal approaches that allow them to realize the full commercial value of their talent and entertainment businesses in a global marketplace.
Entertainment covers a lot of ground, from stadium sporting events to film and television to music to tablet video games. We have seen the legal side of all aspects of entertainment, and our team brings different legal disciplines together to support clients in every facet of their entertainment enterprises. The working relationships among the attorneys who contribute to this practice set the table for fast, creative responses. The practice includes the former assistant general counsel to a worldwide cable television programmer and attorneys who have advised on entertainment, sports and media transactions and contracts valued at hundreds of millions of dollars.
Our news and media clients appreciate our experience, quick turnaround, and practical perspective on a variety of prepublication and prebroadcast review issues, including privacy, defamation, and copyright. Our in-depth experience helps us provide quick answers with an appreciation for keeping the story intact. We have counseled local and national newspapers, broadcast channels, and news aggregators in these issues and in media and intellectual property litigation around the country.
Creation and review of privacy policies and procedures for media, healthcare, and other clients.
Sprinturf, LLC v. UBU Sports, Inc. and Maumee Bay Landscape Contractors, LLC
Served as counsel to UBU Sports and Maumee Bay Turf Center, premier providers of synthetic turf systems for use in a variety of sporting events, in patent dispute brought by a competitor. Sprinturf, LLC v. UBU Sports and Maumee Bay (N.D. Ga.)
ModTruss, Inc. v. BattleFrog, LLC
Taylor English handled the successful defense of a motion for a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction brought against our client, BattleFrog, LLC, a company that organizes and stages obstacle-course races that are televised on ESPN. The stakes in this case were very high, as plaintiff Modtruss, Inc., sought to prevent the airing of a recent BattleFrog race on ESPN and to enjoin our client from putting on additional races based on claims of alleged ...
Amanda Hyland represents Bankrate, a publisher, aggregator, and distributor of personal finance content on the Internet that provides aggregated financial data and consumer financial news and editorial content to more than 500 national publications. She provides day-to-day outside counsel on matters of media, advertising, and intellectual property to Bankrate and its affiliates, which include creditcards.com, Wallaby, Interest.com, Bankaholic.com ...
Drafted and negotiated Screenwriter/producer agreements for feature film adapted from public domain material.
Drafted and negotiated talent agreements for reality series focused on amateur dancers.
Drafted and negotiated talent attachment agreements for reality series starring professional athlete and his circle of intimates.
Drafted and negotiated screenwriter collaboration agreements for documentary film.
Drafted and negotiated producer agreements for various independent documentary films.
Drafted and negotiated work made for hire agreements for various productions.
Drafted and negotiated music label A&R executive employment agreement and music label standard recording agreement.
Amanda Hyland represented a Denver liquor distillery in trademark and rights of publicity claims arising from a dispute between Jimi Hendrix’s heirs and other family as to the right to use the term “Purple Haze.” Ms. Hyland obtained a full dismissal of claims against the distillery.
Represented international nonprofit ministry in sale of trademark rights to Daystar Television network.
Represented production company in intellectual property matters, including the negotiation of the full transfer to our client of all copyright in screenplays for a television series.
Taylor English is outside intellectual property counsel to ATLA, which hosts the largest dance career convention in the country, bringing together the top choreographers and dancers from around the world.
Represented film production companies in the planning, application and defense of film tax credits.
Served as counsel to the Trustee in the purchase by an Employee Stock Ownership Trust of the stock of a casino.
Represented retired NFL football player in case where the IRS denied a theft loss the taxpayer suffered when his licensed investment adviser misappropriated $1,679,500 of his funds. Decision pending in the United States Tax Court.
Defended and achieved settlement in copyright infringement lawsuit brought in the Northern District of Georgia by a former employee of our client, a video production company. The former employee claimed to own the copyright in the commercials produced by our client.
Achieved prompt and full dismissal of all claims against publishing company relating to a contractual dispute with advertiser. Following the filing of our motion to dismiss, the plaintiff dismissed the action in the Northern District of Georgia.
Achieved voluntary dismissal with prejudice of libel case against FOX 5 reporter by persuading plaintiff that sanctions and attorney's fees would be mandated under Georgia's anti-SLAPP statute.
- Successfully resolved copyright infringement claims brought by photographer against book publishing client
Defended, and successfully settled, copyright infringement lawsuit brought against book publisher client that had used plaintiff’s photograph in book.
Upon receipt of an anti-SLAPP notice, Plaintiff voluntarily dismissed its defamation complaint, which sought damages relating to FOX 5's investigative reporting regarding health conditions occurring at the Plaintiff's eyebrow-waxing business.
The IRS abated penalties against NFL Football players who unwittingly invested in tax scam and provided information that resulted in criminal indictment of promoter.
Represented one of the largest outdoor advertising companies in the world in the acquisition of hundreds of fee properties and billboard easements throughout the United States and in the complex financing of billboard and office locations.
Create master agreements covering A&R executives and recording artists for fledgling music label. Advise on royalty structure, buy-out, rights and other matters. Complete buy-out of rights from prior producer in exchange for participation in new recording agreement.
Active defense counsel for TBS, Inc. and subsidiaries, including CNN, CNN Español, and The Cartoon Network, Inc., in administrative charges filed at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and in federal lawsuits brought in Atlanta, Georgia, and New York, New York, alleging discrimination and retaliation under federal anti-discrimination laws. Taylor English regularly advises TBS, Inc. and its subsidiaries on complex employment law issues and prepare ...
Represented Outdoor Systems, Inc. from 1996 to 2002 in more than 35 acquisitions (stock, asset, mergers, like-kind exchanges) of outdoor advertising businesses ranging in value from $5 million up to $1 billion, as well as in connection with the sale of OSI to Infinity Broadcasting in a public company transaction worth more than $8 billion.
Negotiated 10-year $500 million TV broadcast agreement with Fox Sports on behalf of an MLB team which, at that time, was the largest broadcast agreement for any sports team.
Negotiated acquisition of a major league sports team, handled related matters with MLB and represented team in negotiating sponsorship, concession, franchise and suite license agreements.
Responsible for preparing and negotiating numerous promotional and sponsorship agreements prepared for corporate clients engaging celebrities, athletes, sports teams and spokespersons for brands. These included the engagement of movie actor to promote new line of cosmetics, entering into sponsorships of amateur and professional sports teams, athletes and events such as TV shows, awards ceremonies, and beauty pageants, engagement of celebrity ...
Oversee conception and implementation of new platforms to achieve compliance with sweeping FCC requirements relating to closed captioning and other measures to make online media accessible to hearing- and sight-impaired consumers, on behalf of major television company.
Assisted the Atlanta Braves in their trademark clearance process.
- November 14, 2019
- Atlanta Business Chronicle, October 24, 2019
- September 6, 2019
- IPPro, World Trademark Review, Metro Atlanta CEO, and Intellectual Property Magazine, August 29, 2019
- April 9, 2019
- Taylor English Partner Appointed to Board of Georgia Music Partners, Marietta Daily Journal, Metro Atlanta CEO and AJC NewsmakersJanuary 30, 2019
- Taylor English Adds Kendall Minter As Partner, Marietta Daily Journal, the Metro Atlanta CEO, Daily Report and AJC NewsmakersJanuary 8, 2019
- January 2, 2019
- Harry Dixon Selected As a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, Daily Report and the Metro Atlanta CEODecember 10, 2018
- December 6, 2018
- December 3, 2018
- August 24, 2018
- Oz Magazine, January 18, 2018
- Georgia Bar Journal, December 18, 2017
- November 10, 2017
- October 24, 2017
- October 19, 2017
- October 19, 2017
- June 28, 2017
- January 19, 2017
- November 28, 2016
- November 28, 2016
- November 22, 2016
- November 21, 2016
- November 21, 2016
- August 11, 2016
- August 1, 2016
- June 17, 2016
- June 17, 2016
- April 27, 2016
- April 7, 2016
- November 8, 2019
- August 26, 2019
- August 15, 2019
- January 29, 2019
- January 7, 2019
- December 6, 2018
- Taylor English’s Harry Dixon Elected as a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation and as a Member of the YLD Leadership Academy Class of 2019December 3, 2018
- Taylor English Partner Glianny Fagundo Named Among the “Fifty Most Influential Latinos In Georgia” By The Georgia Hispanic Chamber Of CommerceSeptember 4, 2018
- February 22, 2018
- October 18, 2017
- October 16, 2017
- December 13, 2016
- November 17, 2016
- HR Daily Advisor, June 5, 2018
- February 2, 2017
- An Artist’s Guide To Negotiating 360 Record DealsMarch 31, 2015
- February 6, 2018
- October 6, 2017
- Taylor English Duma, October 9, 2018
- Fado Irish Pub Midtown, October 28, 2015
- November 15, 2019
- Ritz Carlton, Cancun, Nov. 13-17 2019
- November 7, 2019
- October 29, 2019
- September 20, 2019
- May 29, 2019
- April 27, 2019
- November 7-11
- The Legal Side of Your Project: How to Make Sure What’s Your is Yours, Georgia Production PartnershipPlaza Theatre, November 6, 2018
- Georgia State Bar, April 17, 2018
- April 2, 2018
- Presented by the Entertainment & Sports Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia; Co-Sponsored by Georgia Lawyers for the Arts, Inc.March 30, 2018
- March 24, 2018
- Georgia Tech Hotel & Conference Center, November 9, 2017
- "Creatives: Understanding the Business and Legal Side of Your Film Shoot in Georgia," 2016 Savannah Film FestivalSavannah, Ga., October 22-29, 2016
- Atlanta, Ga., May 1, 2016
- Cumming, Ga., June 14, 2015
- State Enforcement of COPPA, Federal Online Advertising Law Mitzi L. Hill
- FTC May Not Regulate Common Carrier Bandwidth Advertising for Fairness Mitzi L. Hill
- Google to Honor EU Privacy Requests Globally Mitzi L. Hill
- Savannah Film Incentive Makes State Even More Competitive Mitzi L. Hill
- If Being "Proactive" is a Management Objective, This is a Good Year
- EEOC Provides Transgender Compliance Wish List for Employers Shawntel R. Hebert
- Are You Compliant With Your I-9 Responsibilities? Randy C. Gepp
- Employers Beware: Overtime Rules are Set to Significantly Increase Number of Protected Employees Bryan F. Jacoutot
- NLRB Strikes Whole Foods Market's Policies Prohibiting Employees' Workplace Audio/Video Recordings Joseph W. Bryan
- FMLA Master Class: Georgia - Advanced Skills for Employee Leave Management Glianny Fagundo, Raanon Gal, Shawntel R. Hebert
- Georgia Supreme Court Ruling May Spawn Back Pay Claims by Thousands of Home Care Workers Shawntel R. Hebert
- DOL Pumps the Brakes on Proposed Changes to Overtime Rules Joseph M. English
- View More