Data Security and Privacy
- Data Security and Privacy
Companies now recognize the immense opportunities—and responsibilities—of data in today’s always-connected world. We partner with you in maintaining the trust of customers, investors and business partners.
Each year, there are more than 1.5 million cyber-attacks on U.S. businesses. Victims include some of the biggest names in American business, as well as smaller businesses in every industry. Perhaps more importantly, everyday access to data can result in losses even without an attack: devices can be lost or stolen, for example. Every data incident has the potential to become a legal matter and can result in financial losses, litigation and erosion of investor and customer confidence. We advise clients on compliance with government regulations, internal assessment and planning, and response to incidents and litigation.
Companies with access to valuable data are finding that compliance with federal and state privacy laws is becoming increasingly complex. The exposure can be significant for violations. We provide industry-specific guidance in health care, financial services, consumer marketing, telecommunications and other segments. We also counsel on use of online and "cloud-based" networking capabilities and the specific risks they can present.
Most companies benefit from a cross-functional team, including legal counsel, IT professionals and the C-suite executives, that addresses risk management and best practices in order to limit exposure. Our breadth of experience is the perfect complement to your internal cross-funded team. Likewise, we have assembled a multi-disciplinary team of attorneys who work with clients to manage risks in advance of any problems, and respond quickly if an incident occurs.
- Advise covered entities on business associate agreements to manage risk.
Advice on data disposal following sale/wind-down of healthcare practices
Counsel to Board of National Industry-Specific Information Sharing and Analysis Center.
Represent various retail clients regarding PCI compliance, credit card fraud and loss, and fraudulent e-commerce orders.
Coordinate response to loss of protectable or sensitive data in electronic form, including personal credit information, vendor account credentials and customer payment authorizations.
Advised companies regarding compliance with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Georgia Fair Business Practices Act (FBPA) and Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act (FCCPA).
- IPWatchdog, February 21, 2018
- December 2017
- December 28, 2017
- October 11, 2017
- April 6, 2017
- January 20, 2017
- November 16, 2016
- July 20, 2016
- June 17, 2016
- January 27, 2016
- September 18, 2015
- June 9, 2015
- WSB-TV Channel 2 Interview with Mitzi Hill on Cyber Ransom Attacks and Hackers Targeting Home ComputersFebruary 12, 2015
- December 29, 2014
- May 31, 2014
- March 19, 2013
- July 10, 2017
- "Maintaining Individual Liability in AML and Cybersecurity at New York's Financial Institutions," Penn State Journal of Law & International AffairsApril 2017
- July 19, 2016
- "Safeguarding IT and Communications Systems: Or How to Stop Worrying and Love Being Big Bro," InsideCounselJune 20, 2016
- April 20, 2016
- February 1, 2016
- April 27, 2015
- October 21, 2014
- October 21, 2014
- Institute of Continuing Legal EducationNovember 17, 2017
- "Best Business Practices in Corporate Cyber Security," Georgia Society of CPAs, 2017 Decision Makers ConferenceAtlanta, Ga., April 20, 2017
- March 21, 2017
- Atlanta, Ga., February 9, 2017
- "Preventing Inadvertent Email Contracts: Best Practices for Your Clients," Webinar, National Constitution CenterOctober 6, 2016
- Atlanta, Ga., September 15, 2016
- "Ethical and Privacy Considerations for Contemporary Technology," eDiscovery and Use of Technology CLEAtlanta, Ga., October 29, 2015
- January 29, 2015
- October 30, 2014
- October 16, 2014
- How New EU Data Privacy Rules May Apply to Your U.S. Business Mitzi L. Hill
- Five Lessons from Equifax Mitzi L. Hill
- National Cybersecurity Month: Protect Your Assets Mitzi L. Hill
- GDPR: Good Defense = Prepared + Responsive! Mitzi L. Hill
- Reflections on the Equifax Hack Mitzi L. Hill
- Cyber Protection for Growth Mitzi L. Hill
- Payroll and Email Do Not Mix Mitzi L. Hill
- Unauthorized Computer Access, Without Service Interruption, May Be Cause for Action Mitzi L. Hill
- View More