Litigation and Arbitration
We frequently are called on to resolve disputes that arise on construction projects in state and federal courts across the nation, including lien claims, bond claims, delay/disruption claims, and defective construction claims. More than 50 of our attorneys work extensively in litigation, and they are sensitive to discovery and other costs. Our clients have included contractors as well as their insurance companies, and in all cases we seek to mitigate matters before they reach the courtroom. We have extensive experience in alternative dispute resolution but also are prepared to go to trial in those matters where a timely agreement cannot be reached.
- Eucebia Lopez Carbajal and 24 other Plaintiffs v. Williams Erection Company, The Atlanta Botanical Garden, Inc., Atlas Piers of Atlanta, Inc. et al
Successfully resolved 16 lawsuits brought by 25 injured plaintiffs and one descendant's estate who fell when the canopy walk under construction fell at The Atlanta Botanical Gardens. There were 11 defendants in this set of cases.
After a six week jury trial presenting 17 consolidated, yet individually proved plaintiff’s cases, obtained a civil conspiracy to defraud verdict in the total amount of $3.5 million on behalf of each of 17 investors in a commercial building arising from fraud in the financing of the purchase. In the same trial, obtained judgment for an additional $500,000 in punitive damages against the syndicator.
- "Construction Executives: Talk Less and Listen More for an Effective Deposition," Construction Executive Risk ManagementOctober 11, 2016
- March 9, 2016
- September 23, 2015
- July 14, 2015
- "Arbitration: Moving to Compel and Moving to Stay," Construction Law for the General Practitioner, Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia SeminarAtlanta, Ga., April 14, 2016
- "Georgia's Right to Repair Act and What it Means for Your Clients," Construction Law for the General Practitioner, Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia SeminarAtlanta, Ga., April 14, 2016
- California Court Rules on Enforceability of Browsewrap Contract Jonathan B. Wilson
- 3d Circuit Wyndham Decision Will Be Counterproductive Jonathan B. Wilson