Tobias “Toby” Tatum is an attorney with the firm’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice. Mr. Tatum focuses his practice on commercial litigation, product liability and insurance-related matters.
Prior to joining Taylor English, Mr. Tatum served as Senior Counsel for the United States Department of Commerce. In this role, he represented the United States Department of Commerce in Census Bureau-related litigation. Previously he served as an attorney for an international Atlanta-based AmLaw 50 firm, where he provided core litigation support for clients across the firm’s trial practice group. After law school, Mr. Tatum served as Staff Attorney to Judge Reuben Green in the Cobb County Superior Court.
Mr. Tatum has experience representing a wide range of clients, including multiple Fortune 500 companies, utility and construction companies, Fortune 500 financial institutions, automotive manufacturers, and a manufacturer of glyphosate-containing herbicides. He has extensive litigation experience and has drafted and analyzed numerous complex pleadings, discovery and dispositive motions.
Complementing his legal practice, Mr. Tatum is well-versed in both the non-profit and government sectors. In the non-profit sector, Mr. Tatum served as Policy Analyst for the Georgia Center for Opportunity, Director of Educational Outreach for Georgia Right to Life, and Law Clerk to the American Center for Law and Justice. In his government-related roles, Mr. Tatum has work (or internship) experience across all three branches of Georgia’s state government and across two branches of the federal government. Mr. Tatum has served in roles for the Office of Governor Nathan Deal, the Office of Congressman Tom Price, the Georgia Senate Budget and Evaluation Office, the Cobb County Solicitor General’s Office, Cobb County Superior Court, and most recently, the United States Department of Commerce.
Outside of the office, Mr. Tatum is grateful to spend time with his amazing wife, Isa, who is engaged in important, life-saving work at the Council on Alcohol and Drugs. Together they share three energetic children. Typical days in the Tatum household include laughter, sports, entertainment, a Bible lesson, and a healthy dose of unpredictability. When he finds the time, Mr. Tatum enjoys sports, exercise, gardening, gaming, and trying to fix small things that regularly break around his house.
- Atlanta Bar Association, Member
- Mt. Paran North Church of God, Member and Baseball Coach
- The Federalist Society, Member
- 2016 Law & Religion Moot Court, Best Oralist
- NYC Bar National Moot Court, Southeast Region, 1st Place, 2015
- Recipient of the Gertie and John Witte Prize in Law and Religion, 2016
- Recipient of the Custer-Tuggle Award of Excellence in Family Law, 2016
- Recipient of Undergraduate Outstanding Oral Presentation Award, 2009
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Emory University School of Law, JD, cum laude, 2016
- Georgia Institute of Technology, BS, summa cum laude, 2010