Steven W. Zelkowitz is Taylor English’s South Florida Market Managing Partner and a partner in the Real Estate Department. Mr. Zelkowitz focuses his practice on business and transactional matters in the real estate and financial services industries, including infrastructure and development, hospitality, and public/private partnerships.
Mr. Zelkowitz represents public and private clients in complex real estate, land use and zoning matters, including the sale, purchase, development, and financing of commercial and residential properties, leasing, lending, and title insurance. With more than 30 years of experience, he has represented a wide range of foreign and domestic clients across a diverse group of industries, such as condominium and hotel developments, airports and sports complexes, and other major infrastructure construction projects.
In addition to his real estate practice, Mr. Zelkowitz represents institutional and private lenders and borrowers in financial services matters. He advises businesses establishing in, and relocating to, Florida on leveraging tax and other financial incentives. Mr. Zelkowitz also handles public/private transactions that include large-scale transportation and public works projects.
Mr. Zelkowitz has extensive government relations experience. He serves as general and special counsel to Community Redevelopment Agencies in South Florida, including the North Miami CRA, Hallandale Beach CRA, and Naranja Lakes CRA. Mr. Zelkowitz has also represented a number of local municipalities in South Florida, including Bal Harbour Village, Village of Key Biscayne, City of Aventura, City of Homestead, Town of Miami Lakes, City of Miramar, City of Weston, City of Dania Beach, City of Boca Raton, Islamorada, Village of Islands, and the City of Marathon.
Prior to joining Taylor English, Mr. Zelkowitz served as the managing partner of a Miami-based regulatory boutique. Additionally, he has served as managing partner of the Miami offices of Am Law 100 and Am Law 200 firms.
Outside of the office, Mr. Zelkowitz is a proud supporter of his local communities, having previously served as Vice Mayor and Councilman for Miami Shores Village.
- Extraordinary Women Leading Change, Ambassador
- Florida Fiduciary Forum, Member
- Florida Redevelopment Association, Member
- Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, Trustee
- Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, Trustee
- Hallandale Beach Chamber of Commerce, Trustee
- Historic Preservation Board, Chair, 2002-2006
- Miami Shores Village, Councilmember, 2017-2019 and Vice Mayor, 2015-2017
- Miami Symphony Orchestra, Board Member
- North Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce, Trustee
- North Miami Chamber of Commerce, Trustee
- Planning and Zoning, Board Member, 2013-2015
- Risk Management Association (RMA) Southeast Florida Chapter, Member
- Chambers USA: Leading Business Lawyers – Real Estate, 2012-2018, 2023
- Florida Trend Legal Elite, Notable Managing Partners, 2023
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2023
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers, 2006-2020
- Daily Business Review, Florida Trailblazer, 2019
- South Florida Business Journal, Power Leaders in Law, 2014-2017
- Daily Business Review, Dealmaker of the Year Finalist, 2014
- Daily Business Review, Dealmaker of the Year Finalist, 2012
- Florida Trend Legal Elite, 2012
- South Florida Business Journal, Best of the Bar, 2003
- Infrastructure and Economic Development
- Real Estate
- Rutgers Law School, JD and MCRP, 1989
- University of Massachusetts, BS, 1983
- New Jersey
- New York