Russell Dunlap is a member of Taylor English’s Intellectual Property Department, where he assists in patent, trademark, and copyright preparation, prosecution, and litigation. Mr. Dunlap has drafted and prosecuted numerous patent applications in a wide range of technologies in the mechanical arts, including water infrastructure components, construction equipment, cosmetics, clothing and other textiles, architectural products, medical devices, corrugated cardboard products and packaging, venting and drying technology, equestrian and pet equipment, and many varieties of consumer goods. His expertise includes reviewing his clients’ products and processes to provide advice on best strategies for protecting their intellectual property through a combination of patentability and noninfringement searches, utility and/or design patents, trade secrets, copyrights, or trademarks. Mr. Dunlap also works hard to understand the realities behind these strategies, including product development timelinesand costs, sales and licensing opportunities, and potential competitors’ responses. Mr. Dunlap’s experience also includes assisting with post grant procedures against competitor patents, having prepared and prosecuted several successful reexaminations before the Central Reexamination Unit.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Dunlap worked as a mechanical engineer at a mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection commercial design firm designing plumbing and HVAC systems. Mr. Dunlap is also an active member of the Georgia Manufacturing Alliance, attending plant tours and educational sessions to keep up with manufacturing trends and technologies in Georgia.
Mr. Dunlap is an active member of Chamblee First United Methodist Church, having served on the Administrative Board since 2010 and leading the Men’s Committee and annual Men’s BBQ event. He also volunteers with the Truancy Intervention Project, an early-intervention program in which Mr. Dunlap represents chronically absent children in the Atlanta Public School system before the Fulton County Juvenile Court to provide these children with the resources, information, and support they need to get them back to attending school. He also volunteers with Kids in Need of Defense, a non-profit organization through which Mr. Dunlap represents immigrant children seeking legal protected status in the United States. Finally, Mr. Dunlap enjoys spending his free time with his wife Brittany and two young and energetic daughters Elizabeth and Katherine, as well as supporting University of Tennessee football and basketball.
- Atlanta Intellectual Property Inn of Court, Associate, 2013-present Intellectual Property Section of the Georgia Bar, member, 2011-present Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Chamblee First United Methodist Church, Administrative Board, 2010-Present, Men’s Committee 2019-Present, Board of Trustees 2019-2021, Children’s Council 2022-Present
- Georgia Manufacturing Alliance
- Georgia PATENTS Program of the Georgia Lawyers for the Arts, Inc., Volunteer, 2017-present
- Kids in Need of Defense, Volunteer, 2020-present Truancy Intervention Project, Volunteer, 2018-present
- Volunteer 40 Under 40 – Class of 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Ones to Watch, 2021-2023
- Georgia Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2018-2021
- Kids in Need of Defense, Pro Bono Attorney of the Year, 2020
- Truancy Intervention Project, Honorable Glenda Hatchett Volunteer of the Year, 2019
- Intellectual Property – Patent
- Intellectual Property – Trademark
- Georgia State University College of Law, JD, magna cum laude, 2011
- The University of Tennessee, BS, Mechanical Engineering, summa cum laude, 2007
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Trade Secrets: the Increasingly Valuable IP That Many Manufacturers Forget About
September 23rd, 2022
Many people know, or at least have heard of, the main types of intellectual property: patents, trademarks, and copyrights. Often…Read More
Taylor English Hosting Reception for Georgia Manufacturing Alliance on August 4
July 30th, 2022
Taylor English is excited to host the Georgia Manufacturing Alliance’s Membership Reception on Thursday, August 4, at 6:00 PM! This event…Read More