Randy G. Rich
Judge Randy Rich is an experienced trial lawyer and legal innovator. An attorney in Taylor English’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution Team, Judge Rich has presided over more than 300 jury trials, including the largest pending civil lawsuit in the state of Georgia – the Georgia opioid litigation. Judge Rich uses his insights and experience to swiftly resolve client disputes through mediation and arbitration.
Judge Rich is well known throughout the legal community for his deep knowledge of litigation and evidence. Before being elected to the Gwinnett County State Court bench in 2004, he was a partner in his own law firm, Rich & Smith, LLC, for more than 10 years, where he practiced general civil litigation in both state in federal courts. After serving as a Gwinnett County State Court Judge for 10 years, in 2014, Georgia Governor Nathan Deal, appointed Judge Rich to the Gwinnett County Superior Court bench.
Judge Rich founded the Gwinnett Business Court and served as a judge for the Metro Atlanta Business Court. He launched the “1 day / 1 trial” early release program for individuals serving as jurors and started a video conferencing system with the Gwinnett County Jail that saved residents thousands of dollars per year, by not transporting inmates to the courthouse for routine hearings. During his time serving the residents of Gwinnett County, Judge Rich also served as an Accountability Court Judge.
A testament to his extensive knowledge and experience, Judge Rich is a frequent speaker and author. He serves as an adjunct professor at John Marshall Law School and regularly presents CLEs on the issues of evidence, ethics and professionalism. Judge Rich has authored several articles on expediting resolution of civil lawsuits in Georgia and has authored a collection of trial problems used by law school students.
- Council of State Court Judges, Member, 2004 – 2014
- Council of Superior Court Judges, Member, 2014 – 2020, Technology Committee, 2014 – 2020, Civil Jury Charges Committee, 2019 – 2020, Drug Court Committee, 2017 – 2020
- Emory University School of Law, Kessler-Eidson Program, Adjunct Professor, 1999 – 2001
- Georgia Commission on Disputer Resolution, Registered Neutral and Arbitrator
- Georgia State College of Law, Adjunct Professor, 1994 – 2004
- Gwinnett Church, Member
- Gwinnett County Bar Association, Member, 1992 – present
- Secretary, 1996
- Treasurer, 1997
- Chairman Great Day of Service, 1995 – 1998
- Gwinnett County Business Court, Judge, 2005 – 2016
- Gwinnett County Superior Court, Accountability Court Judge, 2017 – 2020
- John Marshall Law School, Adjunct Professor, 2005 – present
- Metro Atlanta Business Court, Judge, 2005 – 2016
- State Bar of Georgia, Member, 1992 – present
- Supreme Court of Georgia, Chief Justice’s Commission on Professional, Orientation Leader for Emory Law School, Georgia State College of Law, and John Marshall Law School
- University of Georgia, Adjunct Professor, 1998 – 1999
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Rated
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Government & Internal Investigations
- Georgia State University College of Law, JD, cum laude, 1992
- University of Georgia, BA, 1988
30 Minute Leadership Podcast
This episode features Rick Packer of the Table Group (Patrick Lincioni’s folks). Locally in Atlanta, they consult with Chick-Fil-A and…Read More
Special Masters May Be an Answer to Covid Trial Court Delays
In the last 30 days, I have been appointed by two trial courts in Georgia and one federal court in Georgia to serve as a Special Master….Read More