Scott Tobin provides strategic legal and business advice to high-growth businesses and those who govern, manage and invest in them.
Throughout his career Mr. Tobin has held various corporate positions in addition to his law practice, including service as a senior executive, board member, entrepreneur, and venture capitalist. His varied experience helps him to better manage risks and capitalize on growth opportunities, leading to successful outcomes for his clients.
Clients rely on Mr. Tobin for business growth and succession planning and counsel regarding board governance, strategic partnerships, licensing, mergers and acquisitions, emerging companies and venture capital, as well as corporate litigation representation. His litigation work concentrates largely upon disputes involving or on behalf of private company investors, lenders, directors, members and management. During election cycles he also litigates election law disputes.
A significant portion of Mr. Tobin’s business practice focuses on managing risk and capitalizing on growth opportunities for privately held technology companies and their investors, as well as a broad range of other industries. He partners with clients at business-critical junctures including raising capital, leveraging capital and technologies, and when owners, managers or executives are joining or exiting a business.
Additionally, Mr. Tobin serves as U.S. general counsel to expansion-minded domestic as well as overseas companies, advising them on all aspects of U.S. market entry and growth.
During the internet boom of the late ‘90s, Mr. Tobin led the buyout of a long-time software client by an NYSE-listed company. Before returning to private law practice, he spent over a decade as both principal and manager of a succession of entrepreneurial business ventures. In a career that has included partnership in AmLaw 100 law firms and various corporate positions, Mr. Tobin has served as board member, president, general counsel and principal financial officer of a publicly traded molecular diagnostics company, as CEO of a formerly NASDAQ-listed North Carolina furniture manufacturer in which he became the lead investor, as general counsel to a global software firm, as executive vice-president for global strategies and venture investment portfolio, as manager for a publicly-traded communications technology company. His legal experience has included service as Atlanta managing partner of a European law firm and as Assistant Attorney General for the State of Georgia.
- Atlanta Bar Association
- National Association of Corporate Directors, Research Triangle Chapter, Board Member and Past Chair Association for Corporate Growth, Raleigh-Durham Chapter, Board Member, Public Policy Task Force Co-Chair Republican National Lawyers Association
- Rotary Club, Paul Harris Fellow
- Savannah Economic Development Authority Creative Coast Alliance, Former Advisory Board Member Piedmont Triad Entrepreneurial Network, Former Board Member
- State Bar of Georgia
- State Bar of North Carolina
- UNC School of Law Alumni Association, Board Member and Former Executive Committee Member UNC School of Law Foundation, Former Board Chair and President
- UNC School of Law Council for Entrepreneurial Law, Former Director
- UNC School of Law Initiative for Corporate Governance, Former Co-Managing Director
- UNC School of Law Long Range Planning Committee, Past Chair
- UNC School of Law William Horn Battle Society
- Wake County North Carolina Tenth Judicial District Bar Association, Professionalism Committee
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review
- Business Litigation
- Corporate & Business
- Corporate Finance
- Corporate Governance
- Emerging Companies
- Executive Employment
- General Counsel Services
- International Corporate & Business Matters
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Technology Licensing & Transfers
- University of North Carolina School of Law, JD
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, BA
- North Carolina
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina