Mark Carter is the leader of the Construction / Environmental / Real Estate Litigation Practice Group at Taylor English. Mr. Carter represents contractors and subcontractors involved in public and private construction projects. Mr. Carter was selected as a Georgia Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in 2006 and 2007, an annual recognition limited to only 2.5 percent of Georgia attorneys.
Mr. Carter has represented construction owners, developers, construction managers, general contractors, subcontractors, engineers, trade contractors and suppliers in all aspects of negotiation, mediation, arbitration, litigation and appellate work throughout the United States and internationally. Mr. Carter is especially experienced in negotiating design-build, EPC and material supply contracts. He also has successfully tried construction cases before a variety of forums, including state and federal courts, and has represented clients in arbitrations and mediations conducted throughout the United States.
Mr. Carter is experienced in drafting and negotiating construction contracts on behalf of owners, contractors, subcontractors and suppliers. He is familiar with all standard industry forms, especially the AIA suite of documents and ConsensusDocs. Additionally, Mr. Carter has substantial experience drafting and negotiating EPC (Engineer, Procure, and Construct) contracts.
Mr. Carter also has significant experience in government contract law. He has represented clients in bid protests before both the U.S. Court of Federal Claims and the Government Accountability Office. Mr. Carter has handled claims and litigation before the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals, Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals and the Veterans Affairs Board of Contract Appeals. He also has represented clients in government contract issues with state, county and local governments, as well as school boards and development authorities.
Mr. Carter began his career in the Atlanta office of one of Atlanta’s most respected law firms. He also was an associate with a nationally recognized law firm focused on the construction industry and government contracting.
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Atlanta Legal Aid Society, Service Counsel, Co-Chair, 2014-present
- Advisory Board, 2020-present
- DeKalb Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2008-2011
- Georgia Hispanic Construction Association, Board of Directors, 2015-2017
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Leadership Cobb, 2019
- State Bar of Georgia
- Georgia Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2006-2007
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Business Torts and Commercial Contract Disputes
- The University of Georgia School of Law, JD, 2003
- The University of Alabama, BS, Commerce and Business Administration, 1992
- Court of Appeals of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia