Mark Carter is the leader of the Construction / Environmental / Real Estate Litigation Practice Group at Taylor English. Mr. Carter represents contractors and subcontractors involved in public and private construction projects. He was selected as a Georgia Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in 2006 and 2007, an annual recognition limited to only 2.5 percent of Georgia attorneys.
Mr. Carter has represented construction owners, developers, construction managers, general contractors, subcontractors, engineers, trade contractors and suppliers in all aspects of negotiation, mediation, arbitration, litigation and appellate work throughout the United States and internationally. He is especially experienced in negotiating design-build, EPC and material supply contracts. He also has successfully tried construction cases before a variety of forums, including state and federal courts, and has represented clients in arbitrations and mediations conducted throughout the United States.
Mr. Carter is experienced in drafting and negotiating construction contracts on behalf of owners, contractors, subcontractors and suppliers. He is familiar with all standard industry forms, especially the AIA suite of documents and ConsensusDocs. Additionally, Mr. Carter has substantial experience drafting and negotiating EPC (Engineer, Procure, and Construct) contracts.
Mr. Carter also has significant experience in government contract law. He has represented clients in bid protests before both the U.S. Court of Federal Claims and the Government Accountability Office. Mr. Carter has handled claims and litigation before the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals, Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals and the Veterans Affairs Board of Contract Appeals. He also has represented clients in government contract issues with state, county and local governments, as well as school boards and development authorities.
Mr. Carter began his career in the Atlanta office of one of Atlanta’s most respected law firms. He also was an associate with a nationally recognized law firm focused on the construction industry and government contracting.
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Atlanta Legal Aid Society, Service Counsel, Co-Chair, 2014-present
- Advisory Board, 2020-present
- DeKalb Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2008-2011
- Georgia Hispanic Construction Association, Board of Directors, 2015-2017
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Leadership Cobb, 2019
- State Bar of Georgia
- Honorary Commanders 2023
- Daily Report Distinguished Leader Award, 2023
- Georgia Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2006-2007
- Arbitration & Mediation
- Business Torts & Commercial Contract Disputes
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- The University of Georgia School of Law, JD, 2003
- The University of Alabama, BS, Commerce and Business Administration, 1992
- Court of Appeals of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
A Stark Reminder to Carefully Review Filings
June 5th, 2023
The quote below are my thoughts exactly. I’ve posted similar sentiments before related to AI in the legal context. You may have read…Read More
Casetext AI Legal Assistant CoCounsel
March 6th, 2023
What stood out to me was part of the quote below: “and trust the results.” The implication is that there would be a lower bar to…Read More
Don’t Blame Chat GPT for not Doing Your Job
March 3rd, 2023
Admittedly, I don’t know the facts behind the below quote where, apparently, an attorney submitted to the court an incorrect document…Read More
Lien Claimant Reliance on Information in Notice of Commencement?
February 21st, 2023
On February 10, 2023, I had the pleasure of presenting with my partner, Henry Quillian, at the ICLE Construction Law for the General…Read More