John J. Gresens
John Gresens brings first-chair jury trial litigation experience to Taylor English. A registered patent lawyer, Mr. Gresens represents clients in federal courts throughout the United States and before the U.S. Patent and Trademark office. He has experience defending and asserting patent rights for both public and private companies, as well as successfully counseling his clients to avoid litigation through settlements and negotiation. With more than 35 years of legal experience, Mr. Gresens has secured hundreds of patents for his clients.
Prior to joining Taylor English, Mr. Gresens served as a partner in an Am Law 100 firm. He counsels both United States companies conducting international business and foreign clients seeking to do business within the United States. He helps guide clients entering new markets through patent enforcement and protection matters, as well as through licensing arrangements.
Mr. Gresens has extensive experience trying cases throughout the United States and internationally. He has first-hand knowledge of U.S. federal courts and the International Trade Commission, where he has obtained jury verdicts and exclusion orders. In addition to his litigation work, Mr. Gresens provides clients with strategic counseling and professional opinions. Beyond trying cases, he has handled inter partes review and International Contested Patent matters. He has also successfully negotiated international patent settlements for sums up to $2 billion.
Throughout his career, Mr. Gresens has gained experience in numerous industries, including chemical technology, biotechnology, material science, pharmaceuticals, nanotechnology, and material technology. In addition to his legal practice, Mr. Gresens served as an adjunct professor at Hamline University School of Law from 1990 to 2000.
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section, Member
- Section Council, 2004 – 2008
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, AIPLA Quarterly Journal, Editorial Board, Member, 2001 – 2004
- Art Institute of Chicago, Lifetime Member
- Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Chicago, Board of Directors
- Chicago Public Library Foundation, Board of Directors, 2008 – 2018
- Fire Fighter/EMT (Retired)
- Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association, President, 2004 – 2005
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member 1988 – 2019, Board of Governors, 2000 – 2006
- Intellectual Property
- Hamline University School of Law, J.D., Dean’s List, 1986
- St. John’s University, B.S. in Chemistry, 1981
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Self-Care Zoom Seminar
November 28th, 2022
I‘m flattered that my book will be the basis of an upcoming Zoom seminar about self care for foster parents and stepparents. If you have…Read More
Taylor English Partner Robert Sanders Named 2022 Wisconsin Super Lawyers Rising Star
November 23rd, 2022
MILWAUKEE, WI, November 23, 2022 – Taylor English is pleased to announce that partner Robert Sanders was recognized as a 2022 Wisconsin…Read More
Circle 31 Podcast
November 23rd, 2022
Ayana Robinson Dixon and I had a wonderful time discussing foster care and step-parenting on the Circle 31 podcast. The Circle 31…Read More
Treasury Warns Cryptocurrency Mixers on Money Laundering Concerns
November 22nd, 2022
As reported in the Wall Street Journal, Senior Treasury Department officials are warning cryptocurrency trading platforms on the dangers…Read More