Jeffrey K. Kuester
Jeff Kuester is Taylor English’s Patent Practice Group Leader. He handles all types of intellectual property issues, including litigation, preparation and counseling. He is ranked as one of the top 100 lawyers in Georgia and as one of the top 1,000 patent attorneys in the world. As a registered patent attorney, he has been preparing and prosecuting patents for about 30 years, and also has extensive trademark and copyright experience.
Mr. Kuester currently serves as a special assistant attorney general for the State of Georgia for intellectual property matters. Mr. Kuester also is a former adjunct professor of intellectual property law at Georgia State University College of Law, where he served as vice chair of the Intellectual Property Advisory Board and Organizer of the Corporate IP Institute.
Described by clients and peers as having “an encyclopedic knowledge of patent law,” being an “exceptionally gifted practitioner,” and offering “the highest-quality service in prosecution,” Mr. Kuester is rated among the leading patent attorneys in the world by IAM Patent 1000. He is also rated by Chambers USA as one of America’s Leading Business Lawyers, describing him as a “smart, responsive lawyer,” “never flustered by hard work,” who “proves an excellent team manager.” In addition to being listed in the prestigious Best Lawyers in America for Intellectual Property, Mr. Kuester was voted as one of the top 5 percent of all attorneys in Georgia, selected as a Super Lawyer, and has been listed as one of Atlanta’s Top Patent Attorneys by the Atlanta Business Chronicle.
As a Board of Governors member of the State Bar of Georgia, Mr. Kuester has served as chair of the Technology Advisory Committee and as a member of the Next Generation Courts Commission. Mr. Kuester also served the State Bar of Georgia as chair of the Intellectual Property Law Section and as chair of the Technology Law Section, both of which won the coveted “Section of the Year Award” under his leadership. He was also the communications director for the Atlanta Section of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), serving as webmaster and editor of The Atlanta Circuit.
Mr. Kuester is married and has five children.
- ABA Intellectual Property Law Section
- American Bar Association, Commission on Lawyer Assistance Programs, Advisory Committee, 2017
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Georgia State Intellectual Property Advisory Board, Vice-Chair, 2003-2015
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys
- State Bar of Georgia Lawyer Assistance Program, Chair, 2017-2019
- State Bar of Georgia, Intellectual Property Law Section, Chair, 2002-2003
- State Bar of Georgia, Member of Board of Governors, 2011-present
- State Bar of Georgia, Technology Law Section, Chair, 1999-2000
- Chambers USA: Leading Business Lawyers – Intellectual Property, 2009-2022
- IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, 2013, 2015-2017, 2020
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Best Lawyers in America®, 2007-2022
- Best Lawyers in America®, Lawyer of the Year, 2016
- Georgia Super Lawyers, 2006-2022
- Georgia Trend’s Legal Elite, Intellectual Property & Technology Law, 2012
- Managing Intellectual Property, Patent Star, 2020
- Entertainment & Sports
- Higher Educations
- Intellectual Property – Patents
- Intellectual Property – Trademark
- Georgia State University College of Law, JD, 1993
- Georgia Institute of Technology, BEE, with honors, 1989
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Court of Appeals of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
Avoiding the Potentially Fatal Effect of an Early ‘On-Sale’ Event on Patent Rights
February 1st, 2020
A new Supreme Court decision just placed even more importance on filing a patent application early, before an inventor is barred from…Read More