Jeffrey J. Nix
For over 32 years now, Jeffrey J. Nix’s legal practice has focused entirely upon construction law representing stakeholders involved in every facet of the industry. Having grown up in a construction family and worked as a field engineer/superintendent, Mr. Nix provides common sense advice and cost effective solutions to clients.
Mr. Nix’s representations extend from the earliest stages of project planning though project close-out. During the planning stage, he frequently advises clients regarding the selection of project delivery methods, the drafting and negotiation of design and construction contracts, and the creation of ancillary documents required to kick start construction. Once construction begins, he often counsels clients upon ongoing issues, including contract administration, health and safety, environmental issues, claims management and dispute avoidance. As construction nears completion, Mr. Nix guides clients through warranty issues, design and construction defects, payment problems and all forms of dispute resolution.
Mr. Nix’s clients span across all sectors of the construction industry, ranging from small closely held businesses who construct high-end residential housing to Fortune 100 companies constructing power plants or manufacturing facilities. Years of experience provide him with the versatility to efficiently and economically represent stakeholders in the construction industry: whether serving solo upon a smaller matter or leading a team of attorneys and experts in battling a large dispute.
Mr. Nix is also very active throughout the pro bono community. He is especially passionate about drafting wills and other estate documents as well as teaching others to draft estate documents for individuals battling serious health issues (cancer, ALS, MS, AIDS) and those serving our communities (military, fire, police). He routinely represents veterans of the military services in seeking disability benefits for injuries or illnesses that are service related. Having construction in his blood, he has assisted in the building of more than 50 Habitat for Humanity homes over the last 30 years.
Mr. Nix teaches classes upon construction law, including classes at the Georgia Institute of Technology, and frequently lectures and writes upon topics of current interest to the construction industry.
- American Bar Association, Public Contract Law Section and Forum on the Construction Industry, Member
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Member
- Associated Builders and Contractors of Georgia and Massachusetts, Member
- Associated Builders and Contractors of Massachusetts, Member
- Associated General Contractors of Georgia and Massachusetts, Member
- Atlanta Fire and Rescue Foundation, Board Member, 2014–present
- Atlanta Legal Aid, Steering Committee, 2017–present
- Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation, Board Member, 2013–present
- Construction Industries of Massachusetts, Member
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Leadership Atlanta, Class 2003
- Chambers USA: Leading Business Lawyers – Construction
- Top Rated Lawyers Guide, Energy/Environmental/Natural Resources Law
- Georgia Trend’s Legal Elite, Real Estate & Construction Law, 2019
- State Bar of Georgia H. Sol Clark Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service
- Atlanta Bar Association Service Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service
- Arbitration & Mediation
- Business Torts & Commercial Contract
- Finance & Securities
- Leisure & Hospitality
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Boston University, JD, 1988
- Wentworth Institute of Technology, BS, Civil Engineering, magna cum laude, 1982
- Wentworth Institute of Technology, AS, Building Construction, magna cum laude, 1980
- Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia