Bryan P. Tyson
Mr. Tyson is a partner in Taylor English’s litigation department. He focuses his practice on civil and appellate litigation in state and federal court.
Mr. Tyson previously served as the Executive Director of the Georgia Public Defender Council, a role that has been described as the managing partner of the largest criminal defense firm in the state. He was appointed to that position by then-Governor Nathan Deal and was responsible for overseeing more than 500 attorney employees, 200 attorneys working under contracts, and 400 staff and investigators in 43 judicial circuits across the state.
Before serving at GPDC, Mr. Tyson was an associate at a litigation boutique.
Mr. Tyson has represented clients before the Georgia Court of Appeals, the Georgia Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Mr. Tyson was awarded the 2017 Indigent Defense Award from the Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He was also selected as one of five finalists for the Fulton County Daily Reports 2015 Attorney of the Year award and was selected for inclusion in the 2011, 2014, and 2015 Georgia Super Lawyers – Rising Stars lists.
- American Enterprise Institute Leadership Network, Member
- Appellate Practice Section of the State Bar of Georgia, Chair, 2014-2015, Member
- Emory University Board of Visitors, Member
- Federalist Society, Executive Board Member
- Governor’s Appellate Jurisdiction Review Commission, 2015
- Indigent Defense Committee of the State Bar of Georgia, Member
- Republican National Lawyers Association, Member
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Georgia
- The Georgia Resource Center, Inc., Board of Directors
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2022-2023
- Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Indigent Defense Award, 2017
- Daily Report, Attorney of the Year, Finalist, 2015
- Georgia Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2011, 2014-2015
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Oak Brook College of Law, JD, magna cum laude
- California State Courts
- California Supreme Court
- Court of Appeals of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia