I am at Taylor English because the expense associated with my effort to provide outstanding services to my clients is aligned with my clients’ expectations and reality. Every day my clients sacrifice to maximize return on investment. Shouldn’t their outside counsel live that same reality? At Taylor English, there are no unnecessary or self-indulgent expenses passed on to clients because we respect our clients and their mission.
For nearly 30 years, Mr. DeHaven’s practice has focused on Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation (EBEC) representing Fortune 500 and sophisticated private companies. Mr. DeHaven is dedicated to providing practical advice to help his clients succeed. This includes spending important time with boards of directors, senior management and employee plan fiduciaries providing strategic advice to accomplish desired goals and outcomes.
Mr. DeHaven’s experience includes 16 years as a partner in two multi-national law firms, Troutman Sanders and Jones Day, and had significant leadership responsibilities with respect to both firm’s EBEC practices. At Troutman Sanders, Mr. DeHaven was the practice group leader, and more recently while with Jones Day, Mr. DeHaven doubled the EBEC practice group in the Atlanta office which was recognized by Best Lawyers in America as a Tier 1 EBEC practice.
Mr. DeHaven’s practice generally consists of:
- Advising plan fiduciaries and boards of directors regarding their separate fiduciary duties including those arising where company stock is offered as a form of plan investment,
- Benefits design and compliance,
- Plan administration compliance including negotiating third party service provider contracts and voluntary self-correction matters all governed by the Internal Revenue Code (IRC) and the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA),
- Cybersecurity events affecting benefit plans, negotiating appropriate terms in third party service agreements,
- Mergers and acquisitions including significant experience with multi-country transactions,
- Lender and borrower credit agreement transactions,
- Severance arrangements for groups of employees and for individual officers,
- Retention arrangements,
- Deferred compensation arrangements governed by IRC 409A including supplemental executive retirement plans (SERPs),
- Incentive compensation and equity plans and arrangements,
- Claims for benefits controversies, and
- ERISA litigation support.
Outside of the office, Mr. DeHaven has devoted his time to Peachtree Road United Methodist Church (PRUMC) and three school organizations – Holy Innocents’ Episcopal School, The PRUMC Preschool and the Sarah Smith Education Foundation, Inc. (SSE Foundation). With respect to the latter two, he served on both entities’ board of directors. Mr. DeHaven was a founding member of the SSE Foundation assisting in the formation and startup of the non-profit entity.
Holy Innocents’ Episcopal School, Fundraising
Peachtree Road United Methodist Church, The Preschool, Board of Directors, Chairman of the Board
Sarah Smith Education Foundation, Inc., Formation Board Member, Board Counsel, Chairman of the Board
- January 7, 2019
- November 30, 2018
- November 27, 2018
- October 16, 2018
University of Georgia, JD, cum laude, 1990
University of Georgia, BA, Economics, 1986
Best Lawyers in America, 2013-2019
Best Lawyers in America, Tier 1 status for Jones Day Atlanta office (multiple years)
Legal 500 United States, “recommended attorney,” 2013, “recognized as a member of a very talented team,” 2014
Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, 2002-2018