As a member of Taylor English’s Intellectual Property Department, Li-Chung Daniel (Dan) Ho devotes his practice to technology law, with emphasis on patent and trademark prosecution, patent and trademark litigation, technology licenses, and service agreements. With more than 20 years of legal experience, he is knowledgeable in all aspects of patent and trademark litigation in federal court, as well as in arbitration setting. Mr. Ho has written and prosecuted more than a hundred patent applications in mechanical, chemical and software technologies, including U.S. Patent Nos. 6,793,545 and 6,568,969 to Arctic Cat., which were found to be valid and infringed by Bombardier resulting in $46.7 million damages.
Mr. Ho counsels clients on intellectual property rights, including performing patent freedom to practice evaluations and providing opinions. He negotiates and prepares technology licenses and service agreements and also manages and participates in merger and acquisition deals.
Before joining Taylor English, Mr. Ho worked as an in-house attorney at two large global companies, Tata Communications as the head of the intellectual property department and Accenture as the intellectual property lead of Accenture’s five operating groups. Prior to being an in-house attorney, Mr. Ho was an attorney at an international, general practice law firm, and several intellectual property boutique law firms. Mr. Ho also served as an arbitrator on several arbitrations for FINRA (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority)/NASD (National Association of Securities Dealers).
Before entering the practice of law, Mr. Ho was an engineer for 6 years at Ford Motor Company where he worked as a product planning analyst on the Ranger/Bronco II and WIN88 (WindStar) vehicle platforms and as a steering and suspension release engineer for the light truck platforms. While an engineer at Ford, Mr. Ho obtained his Professional Engineer license.
- Mandarin (Chinese)
Representative Litigation Matters
(District of Minnesota) - represented defendant Alcoa in patent case.
(Northern District of Illinois) - represented plaintiff Brown’s Chicken in trademark case.
(Western District of Michigan) - represented defendant Ebonite in trademark case.
(District of Deleware)- represented defendant Pechiney in patent case.
(Western District of New York) -represented defendant Agfa in patent case.
(Northern District Illinois) - represented plaintiff Moen in design patent and trade dress case.
(Northern District of California) - represented defendants Smith Medical ASD and BreGas in patent case).
- Ovonic Battery Company, Texaco Ovonic Battery Systems and Energy Conversation Device v. Matsushita and Toyota
(ICC Arbitration) - represented claimants Ovonic and Chevron Texaco in patent case.
(District of Connecticut) - represented plaintiff Pechiney in patent case.
(Eastern District of Wisconsin) - represented plaintiff Pechiney in patent case.
(District of Minnesota) - represented defendant Arctic Cat in patent case.
(Northern District Illinois) - represented plaintiff Salco in patent case.
(Eastern District of Michigan) - represented plaintiff TI Group Automotive in patent case.
(Northern District Illinois) - represented defendant Orlimar in patent case.
(Central District of California) - represented defendant Arctic Cat in patent case.
- Significant Decisions In Recent Patent Cases And Their Impact On Patent Jurisprudence and Litigation, Patent Litigation 2019: Advanced Techniques & Best Practices, PLI SeminarOctober 15, 2019
- “Intellectual Property Overview,” Accenture, Contract Management Team Presentation, March 2014
- “Acceptable Use of Client Provided Content,” Accenture, Business Process Outsourcing, September 2010
- “Protecting Accenture’s IP Through Patents,” Accenture, Resources Operating Group, November 2007
- “Patent Litigation Strategy – Thinking Outside the Box to Resolve Your Case Quickly and Cost Effectively,” National Asian Pacific American Bar Association 18th Annual Convention, November 2006
- “Intellectual Property Terms in Commercial Contracts,” Tata Communications, Global Legal Team Presentation, March 2017
- “Intellectual Property Terms in Vendor Contracts,” Tata Communications, Procurement Legal Team Presentation, February 2017
- “Open Source Software Overview,” Tata Communications, Procurement Legal Team Presentation, February 2016
- “Intellectual Property Issues Faced by Engineers,” Tata Communications, Mobile and Network Engineering Team Presentation, March 2015
Case Western Reserve University, JD, 1997
University of Illinois, MBA, 1992
University of Michigan, MS, Mechanical Engineering, 1988
University of Michigan-Dearborn, BS, Mechanical Engineering, 1987
State of Illinois
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Courts & Adjudicative Bodies
U.S. District Court for Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin