Taylor English offers its clients responsiveness, true expertise, and depth of bench across a wide spectrum of legal specialties and industries.
Jim Standard serves as a trusted advisor to his clients, assisting them in achieving their business goals. Mr. Standard applies his diverse background in law, business, finance and tax to provide a unique and perceptive approach to representing his clients. He handles a variety of business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, stock purchases, asset purchases and other buy-sell transactions. Mr. Standard represents both businesses and individuals in a variety of commercial transactions, including lending agreements, lease agreements, and employment agreements. He assists companies in protecting valuable intellectual property and goodwill through restrictive covenant agreements such as non-compete, non-solicitation and nondisclosure agreements. Mr. Standard has experience advising business owners, officers and directors on matters of corporate governance, including the preparation of governing documents such as operating agreements, shareholder agreements and corporate bylaws. With his background in taxation, he advises clients on tax-efficient strategies for implementing these transactions, both in domestic transactions and cross-border transactions.
In addition to his role as a business advisor, Mr. Standard represents both companies and individuals in business and commercial disputes. He has extensive experience in representing both majority and minority shareholders in shareholder disputes, as well as officers and directors in claims brought by shareholders and creditors. Mr. Standard has frequently represented companies and employees in litigation involving non-compete agreements and misappropriation of trade secrets, confidential information, and other intellectual property.
State Bar of Georgia
Sandy Springs Perimeter Chamber
Represented European company in sale of U.S.-based computer software company.
Represented Dutch company in acquisition of U.S.-based financial services firm.
Represented U.S. agribusiness company in acquiring several farming operations in south Georgia.
Represented a U.S. telecommunication servicing company in structuring a tax-efficient spin-off
- Structured forward triangular mergers and reverse triangular mergers and tax consequences of these transactions
Advised several companies in structuring forward triangular mergers and reverse triangular mergers and tax consequences of these transactions.
Advised foreign investor on tax-efficient means for disposition of interest in real property situated in the U.S. and tax consequences under FIRPTA, U.S. gift and estate tax laws, and U.S.-German income and transfer tax treaties
Advised U.S. company on tax consequences of conducting temporary business in Singapore.
Advised Thailand company on potential tax consequences of business activities in the U.S. under U.S. income tax laws and U.S.-Thailand income tax treaty.
Representation of company in action alleging wrongful interference with another company’s non-compete agreements with its employees.
Representation of former consultant in action alleging misappropriation of trade secrets.
Representation of former officer of company in action alleging wrongful denial of promised equity in company.
Representation of a real estate management company in action alleging liability for defective maintenance of elevator.
Representation of company and its shareholders in action against bank for wrongful termination of line of credit.
Representation of company and its shareholders in action against former chief financial officer for fraud.
Representation of dental practice in action for appraisal and buy-out of minority shareholder.
Representation of minority shareholder in action against company and majority shareholder for breach of fiduciary duty in “freezing out” minority shareholder.
- Representation of buyer in an acquisition of several agribusiness and farming operations with a transaction value in excess of $60 million
- Representation of borrower in obtaining a $24 million credit facility to refinance existing loans, provide working capital and finance a distribution to shareholders
- Representation of company in structuring a §368(a)(1)(F) tax-free reorganization
- Counseling clients on tax-efficient §355 spin-off transactions
- Representation of buyer of the Four Seasons hotel in Atlanta, Georgia
- Representation of buyer in acquisition of intellectual property assets, including several patents
- Representation of Netherlands-based financial services firm in its acquisition of local business, facilitating its entry into the U.S. market
- Representation of investors in health care information technology company in suit against former CFO for fraudulent accounting practices and bank for breach of workout agreement
- Representation of national third-party administrator of municipal benefit plans in suit brought by former contractor alleging breach of agreement to remit payments allegedly owed
- Representation of multinational corporation in commercial arbitration brought against joint venture partner for failure to remit payments owed under joint venture agreement
- Representation of company’s shareholders in suit brought by company’s trade creditor alleging improper distribution of sale proceeds to shareholders to the detriment of creditor
- Representation of minority shareholder in direct action against majority shareholder for unlawful merger designed to “freeze out” minority shareholder
- Representation of franchisee in suit brought by franchisor alleging violations of franchise agreements non-compete provisions
- August 20, 2020
- The Admissibility of Expert Testimony in Georgia, Co-Author, Thompson-West, 2007
New York University School of Law, LLM, Tax, 2018
J. Mack Robinson College of Business, Georgia State University College of Business, MFin, 2014
J. Mack Robinson College of Business, Georgia State University College of Business, MBA, 2013
Georgia State University College of Law, JD, magna cum laude, 1998
Washington University, BA, 1991
Courts & Adjudicative Bodies
All Georgia state and superior courts
Court of Appeals of Georgia
Georgia Supreme Court
United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
United States Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
United States Tax Court