Chi-Ru Jou, a partner in the firm’s Corporate and Litigation Department, brings more than a decade of experience in securities litigation and enforcement as well as complex commercial litigation. Ms. Jou advises blockchain companies with regard to the federal and state securities laws, money transmitter laws, and smart contract dispute resolution mechanisms. Additionally, she represents investors, blockchain companies, cryptocurrency traders and advisors to blockchain companies in cryptocurrency-related commercial litigation as well as regulatory enforcement matters.
Beyond the blockchain industry, she has a broad commercial litigation background with strengths in the financial services and technology industries. Ms. Jou steers companies of all sizes, from startups to publicly traded enterprises, through their thorniest disputes involving capital markets, structured financial products, corporate governance conflicts, commercial contracts, employment and consulting agreements, and intellectual property matters.
Ms. Jou has been selected as a Rising Star of New York Metro by Super Lawyers Magazine for 2013 through 2016. Prior to joining Taylor English, Ms. Jou was a partner in the blockchain group of a major international law firm as well as the blockchain group of a boutique law firm. She began her career practicing securities litigation and regulatory enforcement at an international law firm headquartered in New York. Moreover, she was a judicial clerk to the Honorable Alan E. Norris of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. Ms. Jou has published articles in CoinDesk, New York Law Journal, Bloomberg Law Reports, Virginia Journal of Law & Technology and Virginia Sports & Entertainment Law Journal. She is an active member of the 100 Women in Finance legal peer advisory group in, as well as a member of Harvard In Tech’s Crypto + Blockchain Circle, Harvard Alumni Entrepreneurs, and the Columbia University Blockchain Alliance.
Ms. Jou is a graduate of Columbia Law School, where she graduated with highest honors as a James Kent Scholar. She also holds an A.B. magna cum laude, in Philosophy from Harvard University, an M.A. cum laude in Music Theory from Yale University, and a D.M.A. cum laude in Piano Performance from the Juilliard School.
100 Women in Finance
Harvard In Tech’s Crypto + Blockchain Circle
Harvard Alumni Entrepreneurs
Columbia University Blockchain Alliance
- Represented a service provider to a blockchain company in a dispute over a breached consulting agreement.
- Provided cryptocurrency subject matter expertise to angel and venture capital financings for blockchain startups.
- Provided advice regarding federal and state securities laws for a security token offering.
- Defended technology companies in patent infringement actions involving marine autopilots and infrared cameras and obtained favorable settlements.
- Defended an athletic conditioning service provider against trademark and domain name cybersquatting claims.
- Represented a major cable company in a contract dispute with a corporate customer, asserting alter ego claims against customer’s founder and obtaining a favorable settlement.
- Represented a major investment bank in internal investigations of its auction rate securities and mortgage-backed securities practices.
- Advised a major investment bank with regard to inquiries by the SEC and other regulators.
- Defended a major investment bank in a criminal investigation into complex tax shelter transactions involving exotic options schemes and obtaining a non-prosecution agreement.
- Defended a private equity firm against preferential and fraudulent transfer claims in federal district court and obtained a dismissal of all claims.
- Defended a private equity firm in a securities fraud, multi-district litigation involving more than a hundred parties and obtained dismissal of a customer breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit as well as a favorable settlement of a securities class action.
- Defended a major insurance company in a securities class action alleging insurance and reinsurance accounting fraud and obtained a favorable settlement.
- “Introduction To Blockchain,” Harvard Club of Philadelphia, March 2018
- “Security Token Offerings,” Security Token Academy, Interview, March 2018
- “Blockchain Industry Developments,” Columbia School of International Affairs, Interview, February 2019
- “STOs and Beyond,” Columbia University LedgerFest, Keynote Address, February 2019
- “SEC Regulation,” City Blockchain Summit, September 2018
- “Smart Contracts,” Harvard In Tech’s Crypto + Blockchain Circle, May 2018
Columbia Law School, JD, with honors, James Kent Scholar
Harvard University, AB, magna cum laude, Philosophy
Yale University, MA, cum laude, Music Theory
Juilliard School, DMA, cum laude, Piano Performance
Courts & Adjudicative Bodies
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit
New York Metro Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2013-2016