Brandie Barrows is a partner in Taylor English’s Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation Department, where she focuses her practice on the representation of non-federal governmental health benefit and retirement plans, ERISA benefit plans, and non-profit funds.
Ms. Barrows uses her legal knowledge to help clients accomplish their strategic objectives and solve important legal issues in a proactive, responsive, creative and quick manner. She provides compliance counsel, including compliance with California State law (including the Brown Act and the Public Records Act), the Public Health Service Act, ERISA, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, COBRA, HIPAA, USERRA, and the Internal Revenue Code.
Ms. Barrows has extensive experience in providing compliance reviews of plan documents, drafting plan document language, reviewing service provider contracts, preparing plan and trust amendments, government and tax filings, and providing general legal advice. Ms. Barrows commonly contacts governmental entities to obtain answers to complex compliance and legal questions that are not addressed with clarity in state or federal guidance. She has assisted clients with responding to California Department of Managed Health Care (DMHC) issues, filing Knox-Keene Act exemptions with the DMHC, as well as filing for and obtaining tax exemptions and tax identification numbers from the California Franchise Tax Board.
Prior to joining Taylor English, Ms. Barrows worked for a Bay area boutique law firm specializing in the representation of Taft-Hartley trusts and non-federal governmental plans, where she represented public retirement health plans and other governmental plans. After graduating from law school, she practiced in the San Francisco office of an AmLaw 10 firm, where she advised a broad range of U.S. and foreign clients in matters related to pension and welfare benefits, as well as working on global equity and merger and acquisition matters.
American Bar Association, Employee Benefits Group, Member
International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans, Member
National Association of Government Defined Contribution Administrators, Member
The State Bar of California, Member
Dilley Pro Bono Project, Summer 2018
- September 30, 2021
- May 10, 2021
- HIPAA Compliance Training, California Assembly Bill 1234 Ethics Training and Legal Updates
- HIPAA Compliance for Attorneys: Cybersecurity, Emails, Texts and MoreSeptember 10, 2020
- It's Tax Time: Do You Know Who Your Dependents Are?May/June 2008Corporate Taxation, Vol. 35, No. 3
- January 14, 2022
- New Guidance Requires Health Care Plans to Pay for Over-the Counter COVID-19 Tests Without a Doctor’s OrderInformation Current as of January 11, 2022
- October 7, 2021
- August 31, 2021
- August 3, 2021
- Information Current as of May 19, 2021
- Information Current as of April 27, 2021
- The Department of Labor Issues Model Notices and Additional Guidance Regarding the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 100% COBRA Premium SubsidyInformation Current as of April 14, 2021
- Information Current as of April 1, 2021