Taylor English is a great place for my clients because the deep knowledge and skill in many areas critical to my clients’ success, combined with a more efficient platform, deliver great results and value my clients couldn’t find with traditional law firms.
Stephen Wright is a member of Taylor English’s Corporate and Business, and Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice groups. He has an extensive and successful track record in commercial litigation and arbitration, as well as in corporate and transactional matters. His recent experience includes:
- Serving as outside general counsel for the past 20 years to help grow a company from less than $15 million to more than $70 million in annual revenue and quadruple its employees to become the largest commercial trade contractor in the Southeast. Mr. Wright negotiated construction contracts; managed litigation in multiple states; handled insurance, warranty and surety issues; directed real estate acquisitions; registered and protected intellectual property; and developed and implemented human resources policies/procedures.
- Recently led a team of attorneys for a start-up venture through all phases of developing a $387 million food manufacturing campus. His work has included contracts for design-build construction, real estate acquisition with a public entity, and supply-chain agreements with major domestic and international customers and distributors.
- Avoiding $20 million in exposure for a client by vigorously defending seven complex construction and product liability matters, resulting in dismissals on summary judgment or minimal settlement payouts.
- Spearheading more than $700 million in industrial, manufacturing, commercial development and construction contracts in 2014-2017, including in the automotive industry, across the United States.
- Protecting international business interests by testifying before the Georgia General Assembly in opposition to a bill, which was defeated, that would have discouraged foreign businesses from investing in the state by barring the use of foreign law.
Mr. Wright graduated from the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University with a BS and high honors in Business Economics, and received his JD from Boston University. After the completion of his law degree, Mr. Wright won a prestigious Fulbright Fellowship to study European Union law in Germany. Mr. Wright is a certified mediator and arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association. He is fluent in German.
American Arbitration Association, Construction and Commercial Panels, Mediation Panel, 2012-present
American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry, Member, 1998-present
Atlanta International Arbitration Society, Board of Directors
Associated General Contractors of America
German-American Chamber of Commerce
State Bar of Georgia, 1989-present
New York State Bar Association, 1988-present
Technology Association of Georgia
- "Ethics in International Arbitration: How Far Can or Should Soft Law Guidance Go in Flattening the Playing Field Between Counsels From Different Jurisdictions?" Fifth Annual Conference of the Atlanta International Arbitration SocietyOctober 10, 2016
- "Anatomy of a Water Penetration Case," American Institute of Architects Building Enclosure Council MeetingMay 6, 2015
- August 20, 2014
- March 12, 2014
- February 12, 2014
- "An Introduction to International Arbitration: What Every Practitioner in Today's Global Economy Should Know," ATLAS ConferenceApril 19, 2013
- "Trends and Developments in the Law of Green Buildings," AIA Building Enclosure CouncilAugust 10, 2011
- Stephen Wright and Ian Clarke to give "Lunch and Learn" on the Impact of Regulatory and Legal ChangesJune 7, 2011
- Is Your Company A Joint Employer? It Depends On What The Federal NLRB Decided - Or Didn't, Georgia ContractorJuly 30, 2018
- "New Twists: As General Contractor, Are You Protected as an 'Additional Insured?'" American Bar Association’s Construction Law ForumMarch 9, 2016
- March 9, 2016
- February 2, 2016
- January 28, 2016
- November 3, 2015
- "Top 5 Take-Aways from the Construction Industry Alternative Dispute Resolution Conference in Austin," LinkedIn PulseOctober 22, 2015
- September 23, 2015
- September 9, 2015
- July 14, 2015
- "Neue Wege Im Gesellschaftsrecht der USA: Die Limited Liability Company am Beispiel des Budesstaates Georgia," [New Paths in US Corporate Law: The LLC in Georgia] 49:2 Neue Juristische Wochenschrift 95 (Germany)
- March 31, 2015
- June 17, 2013
- "Limitation Of Liability Clauses: Dead Or Alive In Georgia?" The Georgia EngineerOctober 2008
- "Your Projects Are Going Online. Are You?" Construction ExecutiveJune 2006
- July 8, 2016
- "NLRB Green-Lights Union Expansion with Broadened 'Joint Employer' Rule," Construction Financial Management AssociationOctober 8, 2015
- August 22, 2014
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Corporate and Business
- Environmental and Energy
- Intellectual Property
Boston University, School of Law, JD, 1987
Indiana University, BS, Business Economics, with honors, 1984
Fulbright Fellowship, Europa Institute of Saarland University, Germany, 1988
Courts & Adjudicative Bodies
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
American Arbitration Association, Construction and Commercial Arbitrations Panels, Mediation Panel