Practicing at Taylor English allows me to work with quality attorneys with diverse backgrounds and provide top-notch, flexible legal services for clients big and small.
Shawntel R. Hebert is an experienced attorney partnering with in-house counsel and human resources professionals to prevent, correct and advise on day-to-day employment matters and also vigorously defend employment litigation. Ms. Hebert routinely advises clients on quirky and nuanced employment law issues and can provide counsel regarding all aspects of the employment relationship, especially addressing difficult employees or challenging workplace situations.
Ms. Hebert has experience representing clients in both state and federal courts as well as in various alternative dispute resolution forums. Ms. Hebert litigates in defense of companies against claims relating to race, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, religious and disability discrimination as well as harassment, retaliation and wrongful discharge. Her practice includes a variety of employment law litigation, including representing Employment Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI) carriers on a local and regional level.
When she is not putting out employment-related fires, Ms. Hebert has an interest in providing pre-emptive training to management and nonmanagement employees. She regularly reviews employee handbooks and drafts employment policies to ensure compliance with ever-changing local, state and federal laws. In addition, Ms. Hebert counsels and assists clients who are investigating allegations of harassment and discrimination and provides counseling services to clients on general employment-related matters, including risk management and preventative practices. Finally, Ms. Hebert is a team player who looks for opportunities to represent clients in general litigation matters, such as premises liability cases.
When she is not practicing law, Ms. Hebert is heavily involved in bar association and social activities. She is very active with the Gate City Bar Association and for the past three years has chaired its annual Summer Associate Program. Ms. Hebert also regularly attends fundraisers benefiting legal, educational and medical endeavors and she rarely turns down a gala invitation.
Outstanding Atlanta Class of 2016 Honoree
State Bar of Georgia, Labor and Employment Law Section, Member, 2007-present
Gate City Bar Association, President (2017); Vice President (2015); Member-at-Large (2014); Hall of Fame Gala Chair, 2012
Emory Law Young Alumni Steering Committee, Member, 2012-present
National Employment Law Council, Member, 2012-present
- Summary judgement awarded in same-sex sexual harassment, retaliation and intentional infliction of emotional distress suit
Successfully defended our client, a large fast food chain restaurant, against plaintiff who claimed same-sex sexual harassment, retaliation and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Obtained favorable ruling on summary judgement for our client.
Active defense counsel for TBS, Inc. and subsidiaries, including CNN, CNN Español, and The Cartoon Network, Inc., in administrative charges filed at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and in federal lawsuits brought in Atlanta, Georgia, and New York, New York, alleging discrimination and retaliation under federal anti-discrimination laws. Taylor English regularly advises TBS, Inc. and its subsidiaries on complex employment law issues and prepare ...
- "The Business of Practicing Law in the New Millennium: Understanding Law Firm Economics and Knowing How to Put Yourself Out There," 12th Annual Leadership Conference, The Leadership Institute for Women of Color AttorneysMarch 23, 2017
- October 18, 2016
- April 22, 2016
- FMLA Master Class: Georgia - Advanced Skills for Employee Leave ManagementJanuary 14, 2016
- "Work Culture: Not Fitting In vs. Discrimination," The Minorities in the Profession CommitteeMay 1, 2014
- "A Guide to Employment Laws, Regulations, and Practices," Labor and Employment in Georgia (Matthew Bender & Company), 2015, 2016
- "Holiday Season and Winter Weather: Employer Mini Survival Kit," Georgia Employment Law Letter, Vol. 27, No. 5November 2014
- February 22, 2018
- February 23, 2017
- January 19, 2017
- January 13, 2017
- February 19, 2016
- February 20, 2015
- Taylor English's Shawntel Hebert Selected to Serve as 2015 Vice President of the Gate City Bar AssociationNovember 12, 2014
- July 8, 2014
- January 24, 2014
- February 21, 2013
- December 4, 2012
- Corporate Counsel Women of Color, 13th Annual Career Strategies ConferenceSeptember 27, 2017
- September 21-23, 2016
- Employment and Labor Relations
- Entertainment, Sports and Media
- Leisure and Hospitality
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Restaurant, Food and Beverage, and Licensing
Emory University School of Law, JD, 2007
Howard University, BA, summa cum laude, 2004
Courts & Adjudicative Bodies
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
Supreme Court of Georgia
Georgia Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2013-2018
Lawyers of Color Hot List – 2014 Southern Region
Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Team