Taylor English offers experienced, first-class lawyers at cost-effective rates in a truly collegial environment.
Mickey Ross is a member of Taylor English’s Employment and Labor Relations group, as well as its Litigation and Dispute Resolution group. He is a seasoned employment and business litigator with more than 40 years of experience in federal and state trial and appellate courts and arbitration proceedings across the country, including a number of class and collective actions. Mr. Ross has successfully represented both individuals and companies in a wide variety of cases, often on the cutting edge of the law. For example, he has:
- Won a jury trial in Rome, Georgia, of a potentially $50 million case in which plaintiffs alleged that their plant was closed because of the age of the workforce in violation of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act;
- Successfully defended wage and hour collective/class actions brought by, among others, restaurant managers and employees, mortgage brokers, parking lot attendants, and insurance investigators;
- Successfully defended the first class action under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act;
- Defeated a putative class action in California by agents of a national financial services company by successfully moving to compel individual arbitrations in Georgia;
- Successfully represented public and private creditors in seeking to enforce promissory notes and guaranties in excess of $10 million;
- Defeated class certification by current and former students at a national for-profit university who alleged various state law tort claims; and
- Recovered in arbitration more than $2 million in additional severance benefits for a senior executive who was let go by his company after it was acquired.
Before joining Taylor English, Mr. Ross practiced with King & Spalding for nearly 34 years, including 28 years as a partner, and with Greenberg Traurig LLP for more than two years as a shareholder.
State Bar of Georgia
American Bar Association
Society for Human Resource Management
Jewish Family & Career Services, Board of Directors, 2008-2009; Personnel Committee, 2007-present
Represented client in acquisition of IT services company. Acquisition expanded client’s territory to the northeast U.S. and increased revenues by 50 percent.
Successfully resolved hybrid wage and hour collective/class action brought by managers of national coffee store company who alleged that they were misclassified as exempt.
Recovered in arbitration more than $2 million in additional severance benefits for a senior executive who was let go by his company after it was acquired.
Represented the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, as Receiver for Silverton Bank (FDIC-R), in three separate federal court actions against borrowers and guarantors who defaulted on loans made by Silverton Bank, which failed in 2009. In each of the three cases, summary judgment was granted to the FDIC-R on its claims for breach of contract, interest, and attorneys’ fees in the aggregate amount of more than $10 million. The rulings in these lawsuits confirm ...
Obtained jury verdict for Fortune 200 company in a potentially $50 million case in which plaintiffs alleged that their plant was closed because of the age of the workforce in violation of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.
Successfully defended the first class action under the WARN Act.
Defeated a putative class action in California by agents of national financial services company by successfully moving to compel individual arbitrations in Georgia.
Defeated class certification by current and former students at national for-profit university who alleged various state law tort claims.
Successfully resolved putative collective action by managers and assistant managers of national fast food restaurant chain who alleged that they were misclassified as exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Represented Atlanta Public Schools in favorably resolving a class action brought by the ACLU that raised federal and state constitutional and statutory claims with respect to the adequacy of education, procedures for assigning and disciplining students, and search practices at alternative high school.
Won jury verdict for large privately held company in dispute over the terms and conditions of the lease for its corporate headquarters.
Represented the plaintiff to a satisfactory resolution in companion litigation in Georgia and Colorado to enforce restrictive covenants and obtain protection against the misappropriation of trade secrets.
- "Employment Contracts: Arbitration Agreements, Restrictive Covenants and More," Labor & Employment Law ConferenceAtlanta, Ga., October 5, 2014
- "Recent Developments: Restrictive Covenants, Agreements to Arbitrate, and Releases," Labor & Employment Law ConferenceAtlanta, Ga., October 2005-2013
- "Case Studies of Clinical Integration Models: Hits, Misses & Consequences," Greenbranch Publishing Audio ConferenceFebruary 2009
- "Recent Ethics Developments," Employment Law & Litigation Group, ORC WorldwideOctober 2008
- "Issues and Strategies Every Seasoned Employment Practitioner Needs to Know: Cat’s Paw, Mixed Motive and Offers of Judgment," Labor & Employment Section of the Atlanta Bar AssociationMarch 2005
- "Taking Off the Gloves: Contacting Employee Witnesses – An Ethical Discussion," Labor & Employment Section of the Atlanta Bar AssociationMarch 2004
- Co-author. "Compensability of Travel Time Under the FLSA"Summer 2007Labor & Employment Section of the Atlanta Bar Association Newsletter
- Co-author. "Butterflies and Group Goodbyes: Are Your ADEA Releases in RIFs Enforceable After Smith?" Metropolitan Corporate CounselJuly 2005
- Co-author. "Whose Field of Dreams: Antitrust Relief Against Restrictions On the Sale or Relocation of Major League Baseball Teams"42 Antitrust Bulletin 521 (1997)
- "Antitrust, Eleventh Circuit Annual Survey"Mercer Law Review (1983-1987, 1989-1991, 1993-1995)
- "Recognizing the Reliance Interest in Awarding Damages Under Section 4 of the Clayton Act: Of Mitigation and Prospectivity"12 Georgia Law Review 193 (1978)
- "Developing An Effective Antitrust Compliance Program"15 Ga. B.J. 87 (1978)
- "Territorial and Customer Restrictions On Distributing Agents or Consignees: The Nature of 'Title, Dominion and Risk of Loss'"13 Ga. B.J. 39 (1976)
- Co-author. "Of Bicycles and Beer: Vertical Territorial and Customer Restrictions from Schwinn to Coors"26 Mercer Law Review 507 (1975)
- "The Single Product Issue in Antitrust Tying: A Functional Approach"23 Emory Law Journal 963 (1974)
- August 18, 2014
Taylor English Duma LLP is pleased to announce the inclusion of 14 of its attorneys among The Best Lawyers® in America for 2015. One of the oldest and most distinguished legal directories, Best Lawyers conducts peer-review surveys to compile its annual list of top attorneys in 128 practice areas in 50 states and the District of Columbia. The entire list of 2015 Best Lawyers is available at www.bestlawyers.com.
The Taylor English attorneys selected for inclusion ...
- February 21, 2013
11 Taylor English Duma attorneys have been included on this year’s Georgia Super Lawyers list, with an additional nine attorneys being recognized on the Georgia Rising Stars list.
The Super Lawyers selection process is a comprehensive, good-faith and detailed attempt to produce a list of lawyers that have attained high peer recognition, meet ethical standards and have demonstrated a degree of achievement in their field. Only 5 percent of the lawyers in the ...
- August 24, 2012
Atlanta, Ga., Aug. 24, 2012 – Taylor English Duma LLP is pleased to announce the inclusion of 10 of the firm’s attorneys among The Best Lawyers in America for 2013. One of the oldest and most distinguished legal directories, Best Lawyers conducts peer-review surveys to compile its annual list of top attorneys in 135 practice areas. Since the previous edition, three new Taylor English attorneys have been recognized by the publication, which is available at ...
- February 28, 2012
Atlanta (February 24, 2012) – Taylor English Duma LLP is pleased to announce sixteen attorneys were recognized as Georgia Super Lawyers: nine as Super Lawyers and seven as Rising Stars. The Super Lawyers will be listed in the March 2012 edition of Atlanta magazine and Georgia Super Lawyers. The named attorneys and their designated areas of specialty are:
Georgia Super Lawyers
William A. Clineburg, Jr. Business Litigation
Foy R. Devine Personal Injury ...
- November 21, 2011
Atlanta- September 7, 2011- Atlanta law firm Taylor English Duma LLP is proud to announce that attorneys William A. Clineburg, Jr., Chloe Dallaire, Foy R. Devine, Jeffrey R. Kuester, John D. Hopkins, Michael E. Ross and Don S. Kohla have each been selected via an exhaustive and rigorous peer-review survey process for inclusion in the 2012 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®. For nearly three decades, Best Lawyers has been regarded - by both the profession and the ...
- September 7, 2011
Atlanta- September 7, 2011- Atlanta law firm Taylor English Duma LLP is thrilled to announce that attorneys William A. Clineburg Jr., Chloe Dallaire, Foy R. Devine, Jeffrey R. Kuester, John D. Hopkins, Michael E. Ross and Don S. Kohla have each been selected via an exhaustive and rigorous peer-review survey process for inclusion in the 2012 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®. For nearly three decades, Best Lawyers has been regarded – by both the ...
- August 23, 2010
Atlanta – Aug 23, 2010 – Five attorneys from Atlanta law firm Taylor English Duma LLP have been selected to the 2011 “The Best Lawyers in America” guide, a respected and unbiased peer-reviewed referral publication. Selections include:
- William A. Clineburg Jr., who has been involved in high-stakes, complex business litigation for more than 37 years. Clineburg has handled dozens of high-profile cases such as the defense of a major tobacco company against ...
- May 21, 2010
Atlanta – May 21, 2010 – Atlanta Business Chronicle today ranked Taylor English Duma LLP the fastest-growing law firm in Atlanta. No other law firm in the metro area posted a bigger increase in revenue or added more attorneys than Taylor English over the past five years, the report indicates.
According to Atlanta Business Chronicle, Taylor English registered a 1,049 percent increase in revenue and a 986 percent increase in the number of attorneys from 2005 to ...
- May 12, 2010
Atlanta – May 12, 2010 – Law firm Taylor English Duma LLP has added a seasoned business litigator to its ranks. Mickey Ross, who comes to Taylor English after 34 years at King & Spalding and the past two years with Greenberg Traurig, brings a “lawyer’s lawyer” sophistication to the firm’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice group, said partner Foy Devine. “Mickey is a recognized and accomplished business litigator who will add great talent ...
- August 17, 2015
Taylor English is pleased to announce the inclusion of 18 of its attorneys among The Best Lawyers® in America for 2016. One of the oldest and most distinguished legal directories, Best Lawyers conducts peer-review surveys to compile its annual list of top attorneys in 128 practice areas in 50 states and the District of Columbia. The entire list of 2016 Best Lawyers is available at www.bestlawyers.com.
In addition, three Taylor English attorneys have been selected ...
- February 20, 2015
Taylor English is pleased to announce that 15 attorneys have been included on this year’s Georgia Super Lawyers list, and nine attorneys have been recognized on the Georgia Rising Stars 2015 list. In addition, Henry M. Quillian III has been selected to the 2015 Top 100 Georgia Super Lawyers list for the sixth consecutive year. The Super Lawyers selection process is a comprehensive, good-faith and detailed attempt to produce a list of lawyers that have attained ...
- Employment and Labor Relations
- Leisure and Hospitality
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Public Interest and Advocacy
- Restaurant, Food and Beverage, and Licensing
- Sports, Entertainment and Media
- Financial Institutions
- Leisure and Hospitality
- Restaurant, Food and Beverage
- Sports, Entertainment and Media
Harvard Law School, JD, magna cum laude, 1974
University of Florida, AB, Valedictorian, 1971
Courts & Adjudicative Bodies
All Georgia State Courts
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
Best Lawyers in America®, Lawyer of the Year 2016
Chambers USA: Leading Business Lawyers, Employment 2009-2012
Among highest student evaluations for an Adjunct Professor in the Litigation Program at Georgia State University College of Law
Rhodes Scholar nominee from the State of Florida
Invited to join Harvard Law Review