I enjoy practicing at Taylor English because I work with some of the best attorneys in the country, who treat my clients as their own. This allows me to truly partner with my clients to provide a broad range of services beyond my particular practice area.
Mark Carter represents contractors and subcontractors involved in public and private construction projects. Mr. Carter was selected as a Georgia Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in 2006 and 2007, an annual recognition limited to only 2.5 percent of Georgia attorneys.
Mr. Carter has represented construction owners, developers, construction managers, general contractors, subcontractors, engineers, trade contractors and suppliers in all aspects of negotiation, mediation, arbitration, litigation and appellate work throughout the United States and internationally. Mr. Carter is especially experienced in negotiating design-build, EPC and material supply contracts. He also has successfully tried construction cases before a variety of forums, including state and federal courts, and has represented clients in arbitrations and mediations conducted throughout the United States.
Mr. Carter is experienced in drafting and negotiating construction contracts on behalf of owners, contractors, subcontractors and suppliers. He is familiar with all standard industry forms, especially the AIA suite of documents and ConsensusDocs. Additionally, Mr. Carter has substantial experience drafting and negotiating EPC (Engineer, Procure, and Construct) contracts.
Mr. Carter also has significant experience in government contract law. He has represented clients in bid protests before both the U.S. Court of Federal Claims and the Government Accountability Office. Mr. Carter has handled claims and litigation before the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals, Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals and the Veterans Affairs Board of Contract Appeals. He also has represented clients in government contract issues with state, county and local governments, as well as school boards and development authorities.
Mr. Carter also has experience representing national and regional financial institutions with distressed and defaulted loans. He has represented creditors and financial institutions in commercial and business litigation, lender liability claims, secured transactions and commercial lending. He represents the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. (FDIC) and financial institutions as assignees and successors in interest to the FDIC in connection with the administration of loans, troubled asset management and related commercial litigation.
Mr. Carter began his career in the Atlanta office of Powell Goldstein, LLP (now Bryan Cave, LLP), one of Atlanta’s most respected law firms. He also was an associate with Smith Currie & Hancock, LLP, a nationally recognized law firm focused on the construction industry and government contracting.
Mr. Carter is married and is the father of one daughter.
State Bar of Georgia
Atlanta Bar Association
Lawyers Club of Atlanta
Georgia Hispanic Construction Association, Board of Directors, 2015-present
Atlanta Legal Aid Society, Service Counsel, 2014-present
DeKalb Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2008-2011
Wrote amicus curiae brief in support of challenge to Minnesota statutes limiting free speech activities near voting areas.
- "Construction Law for The General Practitioner," Institute of Continuing Legal Education: State Bar SeriesAugust 17, 2017
- "Bond Claims and the Prompt Pay Act," Construction Law for the General Practitioner, Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia SeminarApril 14, 2016
- "Bonds and the Prompt Pay Act," Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia, Construction Law for the General PractitionerApril 18, 2013; April 17, 2014; and April 24, 2015
- Contributor, "Alternative Clauses to Standard Construction Contracts," Third Edition, Aspen Publishers2009
- Taylor English Awarded Atlanta Legal Aid Society's Pro Bono Award for Domestic Violence, Metro Atlanta CEO and Cobb Business JournalOctober 17, 2018
- Leadership Cobb Announces Class of 2019, Cobb Business Journal, Metro Atlanta CEO and Atlanta Business ChronicleJuly 9, 2018
- April 24, 2018
- Taylor English Partner Named Co-Chair Of Atlanta Legal Aid Society’s Service Council, Cobb Business JournalJanuary 5, 2018
- September 18, 2018
- Corporate and Business
- Creditors' Rights and Bankruptcy
- Higher Education
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Real Estate
The University of Georgia School of Law, JD, 2003
The University of Alabama, BS, Commerce and Business Administration, 1992
Courts & Adjudicative Bodies
Court of Appeals of Georgia
Supreme Court of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Georgia Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2006-2007