In my mind, TED is not only an abbreviation for Taylor English Duma, it also stands for this innovative firm that is more Trustworthy, Efficient and Distinctive than any firm I have ever encountered.
Jeff Kuester is Taylor English’s Patent Practice Group Leader and Co-Chair of its Intellectual Property Department, and he handles all types of intellectual property issues, including litigation, preparation and counseling. He is ranked as one of the top 100 lawyers in Georgia and as one of the top 1,000 patent attorneys in the world. As a registered patent attorney, he has been preparing and prosecuting patents for about 30 years, and also has extensive trademark and copyright experience.
Mr. Kuester currently serves as a special assistant attorney general for the State of Georgia for intellectual property matters. Mr. Kuester also is a former adjunct professor of intellectual property law at Georgia State University College of Law, where he served as vice chair of the Intellectual Property Advisory Board and Organizer of the Corporate IP Institute.
In addition to being listed in the prestigious Best Lawyers in America for Intellectual Property, Mr. Kuester was recently voted as one of the top 5 percent of all attorneys in Georgia in the area of intellectual property. He also was selected as a Super Lawyer, and was rated by Chambers USA as one of America’s Leading Business Lawyers. Chambers described him as a “smart, responsive lawyer,” “never flustered by hard work,” who “proves an excellent team manager.” He has also been listed as one of Atlanta’s Top Patent Attorneys by the Atlanta Business Chronicle and as one of the leading patent attorneys in the world by IAM Patent 1000. In the IAM Patent 1000 clients and peers described Mr. Kuester as having "an encyclopaedic knowledge of patent law," being an "exceptionally gifted practitioner," and offering “the highest-quality service in prosecution."
As a Board of Governors member of the State Bar of Georgia, Mr. Kuester has served as chair of the Technology Advisory Committee and as a member of the Next Generation Courts Commission. Mr. Kuester also served the State Bar of Georgia as chair of the Intellectual Property Law Section and as chair of the Technology Law Section, both of which won the coveted “Section of the Year Award” under his leadership. He was also the communications director for the Atlanta Section of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), serving as webmaster and editor of The Atlanta Circuit.
Mr. Kuester is married and has five children.
American Intellectual Property Law Association
ABA Intellectual Property Law Section
International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys
State Bar of Georgia, Member of Board of Governors, 2011-present
Intellectual Property Owners Association
State Bar of Georgia, Intellectual Property Law Section, Chair, 2002-2003
State Bar of Georgia, Technology Law Section, Chair, 1999-2000
State Bar of Georgia Lawyer Assistance Program, Chair, 2017-2019
American Bar Association, Commission on Lawyer Assistance Programs, Advisory Committee, 2017
Georgia State Intellectual Property Advisory Board, Vice-Chair, 2003-2015
- Counsel to distillery and bottle designer in defense of action alleging breach of contract and design patent infringement
Gillespie v. Prestige Royal Liquors, et. al.
Led defense of Fusion Glassworks, a custom glass designer, and Private Label Distillery, a provider of distillery services, in litigation brought in California involving alleged design patent infringement. Successfully obtained early dismissal for our clients. Gillespie v. Prestige Royal Liquors, et. al. (N.D. California)
- Led defense of patent infringement suit brought by patent troll relating to check scanning and processing
Lyssa Networks, LLC v. VeriCheck, Inc.
Represented VeriCheck, Inc., a leading ACH payment processor, in E.D. Texas litigation against a patent troll. As part of our defensive strategy, we prepared and filed a petition with the USPTO for Covered Business Method review and argued that the asserted patent claims were invalid under Section 101 for being directed to patent ineligible subject matter. The parties reached a confidential settlement shortly after the CBM petition was filed. Lyssa Networks, LLC ...
- Defense of international consumer product manufacturer in suit alleging patent and trade dress infringement
Led defense of Georgia-based company in patent and trade dress litigation involving a consumer product. After initial aggressive discovery and a mediation, we achieved a favorable settlement for the client.
Adair v. Boat Dock Innovations, LLC, et. al.
Led the defense against an inventor/patentee in a case involving claims of infringement of a patent related to a boat dock ladder. Successfully petitioned the USPTO to reexamine the asserted patents—resulting in cancellation of all claims of one patent and significant narrowing amendments to the remaining patent’s claims. After a favorable claim construction ruling from the Special Master, the case was dismissed with prejudice, with no payments from the ...
- Defense of patent infringement claims asserted by patent troll ICH Intellectual Capital Holdings, Inc
Led defense of Mueller Water Products, Inc. in a case brought by a non-practicing entity, ICH Intellectual Capital Holdings, Inc., for infringement of patents related to automated meter reading technology. The client reached a favorable confidential settlement with the plaintiff and the case has been dismissed. ICH Intellectual Capital Holdings, Inc. v. Badger Meter, Inc., et. al.
- Brought patent infringement action against Datamatic Ltd. for Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) systems
Represented Mueller Water Products, Inc. in action against Datamatic Ltd. alleging patent infringement of Mueller’s patents for technology relating to Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) systems. Negotiated a favorable settlement with defendant. Mueller International, LLC et al v. Datamatic Ltd.
- Achieved favorable outcome for medical device company defending patent infringement and false marking claims
Represented Byrne Medical in patent infringement and false marking case relating to endoscopic devices. Negotiated favorable confidential settlement.
Represented Mueller Water Products, Inc. in action against Singer Valve, Inc. and Singer Valve, LLC alleging patent infringement of Mueller’s patent for an apparatus for the enhancement of water quality in a subterranean pressurized water distribution system. Negotiated a favorable settlement with defendants. Mueller Water Products, Inc. v. Singer Valve, Inc. and Singer Valve, LLC.
Represented Expanded Technologies, a leading manufacturer of expanded metals for the HVAC filter industry, in a suit for declaratory judgments of non-infringement, invalidity and unenforceability of patent held by competitor. The litigation resulted in in a favorable confidential settlement.
Managed the prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications in a large patent portfolio relating to identifying humans using antibody profiling processes.
Endeavor MeshTech, LLC v. Mueller Water Products
Led defense of Mueller Water Products, Inc. in a case brought by a non-practicing entity, Endeavor MeshTech, for infringement of a patent related to premises-monitoring technology. The client reached a favorable confidential settlement with the plaintiff and the case has been dismissed. Endeavor MeshTech, LLC v. Mueller Water Products (D. Delaware)
Led the defense of H-E Parts against ESCO Corporation in a case involving allegations of trademark infringement and infringement of a patent related to excavator teeth on heavy equipment. We negotiated a favorable settlement with plaintiff. Esco Corporation v. H-E Parts et al.
Led the defense of Royal Metal against an inventor/patentee in a case involving claims of infringement of a patent related to industrial package assemblies. We negotiated a favorable settlement with plaintiff. Gray v. Royal Metal et al.
Handled two cases for separate defendants, Ascendx Spine and Sintea Plustek, LLC, in the District of Delaware. Both cases were brought by Orthophoenix, LLC, a non-practicing entity, and involved claims of infringement of certain patents involving medical device technology. The parties in both cases reached confidential settlements. Orthophoenix, LLC v. Ascendx Spine; Orthophoenix, LLC v. Sintea Plustek.
Provided counsel to one of the largest providers of in-home residential delivery services in the United States on all intellectual property matters. These matters range from prosecuting and maintaining the client’s patent and trademark portfolio, to counseling the client on protecting its trade secrets, to anonymously negotiating and obtaining a licensing agreement with a prolific non-practicing entity with a history of targeting businesses in the ...
Handled the defense of Expression Beauty Works in a case involving claims of infringement of a patent related to crackle nail polish. Negotiated a favorable settlement with plaintiff. Kirker Enterprises v. Expression Beauty Works.
Provided counsel to client Seagate Technology LLC on IP matters and provided patent prosecution services. Seagate of Cupertino, California, one of only a few major manufacturers of hard disc drives and other complex storage products, has an excellent reputation for intellectual property management. We have provided counsel to this client on IP matters and provided patent prosecution services.
Provided counsel to Bernie Bilski and Rand Warsaw in conjunction with the landmark U.S. Supreme Court case Bilski v. Kappos.
Prepared and filed a utility patent application for a new fastening technology and a machine and process for implementing the technology in an automobile industry application. The client, a multinational manufacturer of fastener products, developed the technology.
Prepared a utility patent application and two design patent applications for a new consumer product. The product was developed by a local Atlanta resident who developed the product as a side business with the help of local business partners.
Drafted and prosecuted multiple patent applications for new technologies in the packaging industry and industrial valve industry.
Drafted and prosecuted multiple patent applications for new engine technologies for implementation on small passenger aircraft.
Led defense of New Hampshire-based company in patent and trade dress litigation involving drop prevention products. Assisted prosecution counsel with successful petition for Inter Partes Review at USPTO and successfully deferred related litigation, resulting in a favorable settlement for the client.
Provided counsel to client Mueller Water Products, Inc. on patent matters, including prosecuting and maintaining the client’s patent portfolio.
- October 23, 2018
- April 28-29, 2017
- "Best Practices for Trade Secrets After New Federal Statute and Loss of Patentable Subject Matter," Corporate Intellectual Property InstituteOctober 26, 2016
- "Establishing a Trade Secret Program in View of the DTSA and Patent Ineligibility," Intellectual Property Law InstituteSeptember 17, 2016
- "What to Do When Your Client (or You) Has an Intellectual Property Question," Cobb County Bar Association Business Law and Litigation Section CLE SeminarFebruary 12, 2016
- September 23, 2015
- "Patent Law Update," IP SpringPosiumApril 10, 2015
- "IP Strategy for Software/Internet," Georgia Institute of Technology MBA StrategyMarch 25, 2015
- "Intellectual Property – Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights and Trade Secrets, Oh My!" Recipes for Restaurant SuccessRecipes for Restaurant Success Hospitality SeriesNovember 18, 2014
- "Business Method Inventions and Bilski," Research Roundtable on Software and Business Method PatentsApril 24-25, 2014
- April 11, 2014
- "Aligning Patent Strategy with Business Strategy," Corporate IP InstituteNovember 4, 2013
- August 12, 2011
- October 30, 2019
- November 9, 2016
- August 14, 2015
- "Georgia’s New Patent Law: Bad Faith Threats of Infringement Create New Liabilities," Georgia Bar JournalDecember 11, 2014
- March 4, 2020
- Four Taylor English Practice Groups Earn Recognition in 2019 Chambers USA Rankings, Metro Atlanta CEOMay 30, 2019
- September 22, 2017
- “24 Taylor English Attorneys Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America,” Atlanta Patch and Atlanta CitybizlistSeptember 13, 2017
- June 29, 2017
- June 3, 2017
- June 3, 2017
- May 31, 2017
- "17 Taylor English Attorneys Achieve Top Recognition in 2016 Super Lawyers Business Edition," Atlanta CitybizlistDecember 16, 2016
- December 16, 2016
- October 28, 2016
- August 17, 2016
- August 17, 2016
- August 1, 2016
- June 17, 2016
- June 17, 2016
- June 17, 2016
- June 23, 2015
- July 1, 2010
- August 20, 2020
- Taylor English Partner Jeffrey R. Kuester Named Among the World’s Leading Patent Lawyers by Intellectual Asset ManagementJuly 2, 2020
- Taylor English Partners Amanda Groover Hyland and Jeffrey R. Kuester Earn Recognition as Managing Intellectual Property 2020 IP StarsJune 3, 2020
- April 24, 2020
- February 24, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- Eight Attorneys Also Recognized as Leaders in Their FieldsMay 9, 2019
- February 20, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- Nine Attorneys Also Recognized as Leaders in Their FieldsMay 3, 2018
- February 22, 2018
- June 27, 2017
- Ten Attorneys Also Recognized as Leaders in Their FieldsMay 30, 2017
- February 23, 2017
- December 15, 2016
- October 17, 2016
- August 15, 2016
- June 7, 2016
- Six Attorneys Also Recognized as Leaders in Their FieldsMay 27, 2016
- February 19, 2016
- August 17, 2015
- Taylor English's Jeffrey Kuester Named Among Leading Patent Lawyers by Intellectual Asset ManagementJune 23, 2015
- Taylor English Earns National Recognition for Three Practices, Six Attorneys Recognized as Leaders in Their FieldMay 28, 2015
- February 20, 2015
- August 18, 2014
- May 23, 2014
- June 27, 2013
- June 5, 2013
- February 21, 2013
- December 7, 2012
- December 5, 2012
- August 24, 2012
- February 28, 2012
- September 7, 2011
- June 20, 2011
- August 23, 2010
- April 26, 2010
- March 4, 2010
- February 25, 2010
- February 18, 2010
- October 22-23
Georgia State University College of Law, JD, 1993
Georgia Institute of Technology, BEE, with honors, 1989
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Courts & Adjudicative Bodies
Court of Appeals of Georgia
Supreme Court of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
Best Lawyers in America®, 2007-2021
Best Lawyers in America®, Lawyer of the Year, 2016
Georgia Super Lawyers, 2006-2020
Georgia Trend's Legal Elite, Intellectual Property & Technology Law, 2012
Managing Intellectual Property, Patent Star, 2020