Taylor English provides me with the flexibility and support to provide high-quality legal services to my clients without breaking their bank. My clients’ needs always come first.
Jay Patton is a trial attorney who represents clients in business-to-business disputes involving contract interpretation and application in the commercial context.
Mr. Patton has significant expertise with commercial contracts and warranties involving the sale of goods and application of the Uniform Commercial Code. Additionally, Mr. Patton provides defense services for insurance companies in both the general liability and professional liability context by defending insureds, providing coverage opinions and prosecuting declaratory judgment actions, where appropriate.
Mr. Patton is proactive in his work, and regularly counsels his clients on issues outside of litigation, often in an effort to avoid litigation altogether. These services include rapid response investigation and analysis of catastrophic manufacturing events, prelitigation commercial contract analysis and risk assessment counseling.
A few examples of Mr. Patton’s work include:
- Managing national and regional defense programs across multiple jurisdictions for large national companies faced with repetitive consumer litigation,
- Defeating a plaintiff’s request for an injunction and securing summary judgment in a business tort action seeking in excess of $20 million in damages against a renewable energy start-up and,
- Securing dismissal of a restrictive covenant declaratory judgment action brought by an executive against his former employer seeking to declare his negotiated noncompete and nonsolicitation agreements unenforceable, and
- Winning dismissal of a privacy action brought against a national bank by a former customer and successfully defending that dismissal on appeal.
Prior to joining Taylor English, Mr. Patton served as senior counsel at Georgia-Pacific LLC. Prior to that, Mr. Patton practiced as a partner with the law firms of Bryan Cave LLP (formerly Powell Goldstein LLP) and Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP.
Grady High School Mock Trial, Attorney Coach, 2004-2010
- March 7, 2014
- February 21, 2014
- February 7, 2014
- January 29, 2014
- September 30, 2013
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
The University of Georgia School of Law, JD, cum laude, 1996
State University of New York at Oswego, BA, cum laude, 1993
Judicial Clerk, Western Judicial District (State of Georgia), 1996-1998
Courts & Adjudicative Bodies
Court of Appeals of Georgia
Supreme Court of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit