To be part of a law firm that pushed aside the traditional model to create one that provides the highest-quality legal services, delivered by experienced lawyers who are driven by efficiency, value and responsiveness – that is why I joined Taylor English.
Ilene Berman is the firm's vice chair and former chair of Taylor English’s Employment and Labor Relations group. Ms. Berman is dedicated to counseling and defending private employers in employment law matters. She has successfully litigated cases in numerous state and federal courts and administrative agencies throughout the country. To avoid potential legal claims, Ms. Berman also counsels and provides in-depth training to her clients on a wide range of employment-related issues, such as employment contracts; severance agreements; employee policies; handbooks and procedural manuals; restrictive covenants; FMLA, ADA and FLSA compliance; drug testing; background checks; termination and other personnel decisions; and handling complaints of harassment, discrimination or other allegations of misconduct. When providing such advice, Ms. Berman focuses on developing practical solutions that minimize legal risks without losing sight of the client’s business and operational considerations.
Ms. Berman is a mentor in the 2018-2019 Labor & Employment Section's Mentorship Academy. She is a Member of the Advisory Board of the Cornell Institute for Hospitality, Labor and Employment Relations. She is also a regular panel speaker at Cornell University’s School of Hotel Administration’s Labor and Employment Law Roundtable where she addresses current employment issues in the hospitality industry. Ms. Berman regularly presents at workplace and employment law conferences throughout the United States for in-house counsel, human resources professionals and business organizations.
State Bar of Georgia, Labor & Employment Law Section
Atlanta Bar Association
The Cornell Institute of Hospitality Labor and Employment Relations, Advisory Board Member
Cornell University Alumni Association of Atlanta, Philanthropy Chair
Practicing Law Institute, Faculty Member
Labor & Employment Section's Mentorship Academy
The Epstein School, Board of Trustees, Member, 2011-present
Represented global insurance company in age discrimination lawsuit following reduction-in-force. After extensive discovery, we successfully moved for summary judgment on behalf of the employer. This resulted in a judgment in the company’s favor, as well as an award of costs against the plaintiff.
Led defense of claims of misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of loyalty in connection with departure of group of employees and establishment of competitive business. The parties reached a confidential settlement. Wells Fargo Foothill, Inc. v. Cratos Capital Partners, LLC.
Active defense counsel for TBS, Inc. and subsidiaries, including CNN, CNN Español, and The Cartoon Network, Inc., in administrative charges filed at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and in federal lawsuits brought in Atlanta, Georgia, and New York, New York, alleging discrimination and retaliation under federal anti-discrimination laws. Taylor English regularly advises TBS, Inc. and its subsidiaries on complex employment law issues and prepare ...
Taylor English represents RentPath, Inc. in restrictive covenant lawsuits. Recently, we brought an action in Georgia Superior Court to enforce employee covenant agreements and recover damages resulting from the departures of several sales executives. Given the highly competitive nature of the industry, it was important that RentPath acted aggressively in enforcing its restrictive covenants. This matter resulted in a very favorable settlement in ...
Successfully moved for summary judgment in favor of employer against disgruntled ex-employee for claims related to intentional infliction of emotional distress. By aggressively defending claim, and refusing to be held hostage to the claims asserted, client was able to obtain victory before trial was made necessary and was awarded more than $100,000 in attorney’s fees in so doing.
- March 15, 2016
- March 14, 2016
- "Managing a Workplace Investigation: Legal Challenges for Employers," ACC Value ChallengeApril 21, 2015
- "50 Legal Tips in 50 Minutes," HR in Hospitality ConferenceMarch 12, 2013; April 28, 2014; and March 17, 2015
- National HR in Hospitality ConferenceMarch 16, 2015
- September 10, 2014
- "Investigation on Trial," C-Suite in the Crucible: Managing the Cycle of a High-Stakes Investigation, Taylor English's Employment SeminarMay 2014
- "Be Your Own Legal Counsel," 8th Annual HR in Hospitality ConferenceApril 28, 2014
- "50 Legal Tips in 50 Minutes," and "Be Your Own Legal Counsel," 8th Annual National HR in Hospitality ConferenceApril 28, 2014
- "The Supreme Court’s Soon-To-Be-Issued Decision on the Motivating Factor Framework in Retaliation," Cornell University School of Hotel Administration Labor and Employment Law RoundtableMay 6, 2013
- May 5, 2013
- "Labor and Employment Law After the 2012 Elections: What Will the Future Hold?" 7th Annual HR in Hospitality ConferenceMarch 13, 2013
- "50 Legal Tips in 50 Minutes"; "Labor and Employment Law After the 2012 Elections: What Will the Future Hold?" National HR in Hospitality ConferenceMarch 11, 2013
- "The New Era of Retaliation and Whistleblowing Claims: What this Means for Employers and How They Can Protect Themselves," 18th Annual Conference on Employment Practices Liability InsuranceJanuary 29, 2013
- "Labor and Employment Laws," Recipes for Restaurant Success – An Interactive Hospitality Law Series (Part 2)November 13, 2012
- "Labor and Employment Laws," Recipes for Restaurant Success – An Interactive Hospitality Law Series (Part 1)October 2, 2012
- March 29, 2014
- Taylor English Vice Chair Selected By Corporate Counsel As A 2018 National Women In Law Honoree, Marietta Daily JournalSeptember 4, 2018
- December 2, 2013
- August 27, 2013
- March 14, 2013
- Taylor English’s Vice Chair Ilene Berman Selected By Corporate Counsel As A 2018 National Women In Law HonoreeAugust 30, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- May 3, 2014
- April 19, 2013
- Employment and Labor Relations
- Entertainment, Sports and Media
- Government and Internal Investigations
- Leisure and Hospitality
- Restaurant, Food and Beverage, and Licensing
- Youth-Serving Organizations
Emory University School of Law, JD, with distinction, 1990
- National Order of the Coif
Cornell University, School of Industrial and Labor Relations, BS, 1986
Courts & Adjudicative Bodies
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
Georgia Trend Legal Elite, Employment, Labor, and Immigration, 2011 and 2013
The Best Lawyers in America®, 2018