To be part of a law firm that pushed aside the traditional model to create one that provides the highest-quality legal services, delivered by experienced lawyers who are driven by efficiency, value and responsiveness – that is why I joined Taylor English.
Ilene Weisbard Berman has spent her entire legal career dedicated to counseling and defending private employers in all types of employment law matters. She has a strong record of successfully litigating cases in state and federal courts throughout the country, as well as before various administrative agencies.
To avoid potential legal claims, Ms. Berman also counsels and provides training to her clients on a wide range of employment-related issues, such as reductions-in-force; performance management and discipline; employment contracts; severance agreements; employee policies; handbooks and procedural manuals; restrictive covenants; FMLA, ADA and FLSA compliance; background checks; termination and other personnel decisions; and handling complaints of harassment, discrimination or other allegations of misconduct. When providing such advice, Ms. Berman focuses on developing practical solutions as a trusted business partner that are designed to minimize legal risks without losing sight of the client’s business, operational considerations and corporate culture.
Ms. Berman’s long-standing clients, as well as brand-new ones, attest to her excellent legal skills and delivery of exceptional customer service. She is known for her responsiveness, expertise and ability to communicate and relate with the client’s in-house stakeholders. No matter the size of a client, whether it is a Fortune 100 publicly traded company or a start-up business, Ms. Berman provides the same premium service.
Ms. Berman was one of the earliest attorneys to join Taylor English back in 2006 and became its first female equity partner. Over the years, she has held many of the Firm’s top leadership positions, including Chief Operating Officer, Vice Chair of the Executive Committee and the Chair of the Employment and Labor Relations Practice Department.
Ms. Berman is a regular panel speaker at Cornell University’s School of Hotel Administration’s Labor and Employment Law Roundtable where she addresses current employment issues in the hospitality industry. She is a past Member of the Advisory Board of the Cornell Institute for Hospitality, Labor and Employment Relations. Ms. Berman regularly presents at human resources and employment law conferences throughout the United States for in-house counsel, human resources professionals and business organizations. She continues to conduct harassment prevention training for film and television production studios within Atlanta’s booming entertainment industry, including for Warner Bros. Television, various shows airing on Netflix, and other production companies.
Ms. Berman is an active member of the Anti-Defamation League’s Education Committee and serves on the Host Committee for ADL’s Annual Jurisprudence Award. She also volunteers for The Epstein School, from where her three children graduated. In her free time, Ms. Berman loves to run, attend Orange Theory Fitness classes, practice yoga, and hike with her husband. She also loves listening to the Grateful Dead and spending time and traveling with her family.
State Bar of Georgia, Labor & Employment Law Section
Atlanta Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
The Cornell Institute of Hospitality Labor and Employment Relations, Advisory Board Member
Cornell University Alumni Association of Atlanta
Practicing Law Institute, Faculty Member
State Bar of Georgia, Labor & Employment Section's Mentorship Academy
Women in Film & Television (WIFTA), Member
The Epstein School, Committee on Trustees, Board Member
Atlanta 2019 JCC Maccabi Games, Community Ambassador
Anti-Defamation League Community of Respect Awards, Host Committee Member
Anti-Defamation League Annual Jurisprudence Luncheon, Host Committee Member
Obtained summary judgment in favor of a major media company in a case regarding claims of discrimination. District Court Judge overruled Plaintiff’s objections and granted Defendant’s motion for Summary Judgment on all of Plaintiff’s claims.
- March 14, 2016
- "Managing a Workplace Investigation: Legal Challenges for Employers," ACC Value ChallengeApril 21, 2015
- "50 Legal Tips in 50 Minutes," HR in Hospitality ConferenceMarch 12, 2013; April 28, 2014; and March 17, 2015
- National HR in Hospitality ConferenceMarch 16, 2015
- September 10, 2014
- "Investigation on Trial," C-Suite in the Crucible: Managing the Cycle of a High-Stakes Investigation, Taylor English's Employment SeminarMay 2014
- "Be Your Own Legal Counsel," 8th Annual HR in Hospitality ConferenceApril 28, 2014
- "The Supreme Court’s Soon-To-Be-Issued Decision on the Motivating Factor Framework in Retaliation," Cornell University School of Hotel Administration Labor and Employment Law RoundtableMay 6, 2013
- May 5, 2013
- "Labor and Employment Law After the 2012 Elections: What Will the Future Hold?" 7th Annual HR in Hospitality ConferenceMarch 13, 2013
- "50 Legal Tips in 50 Minutes"; "Labor and Employment Law After the 2012 Elections: What Will the Future Hold?" National HR in Hospitality ConferenceMarch 11, 2013
- "The New Era of Retaliation and Whistleblowing Claims: What this Means for Employers and How They Can Protect Themselves," 18th Annual Conference on Employment Practices Liability InsuranceJanuary 29, 2013
- "Labor and Employment Laws," Recipes for Restaurant Success – An Interactive Hospitality Law Series (Part 2)November 13, 2012
- "Labor and Employment Laws," Recipes for Restaurant Success – An Interactive Hospitality Law Series (Part 1)October 2, 2012
- March 29, 2014
- January 7, 2019
- December 3, 2018
- October 16, 2018
- Taylor English Vice Chair Selected By Corporate Counsel As A 2018 National Women In Law Honoree, Marietta Daily JournalSeptember 4, 2018
- December 2, 2013
- August 27, 2013
- March 14, 2013
- December 3, 2020
- August 20, 2020
- Taylor English Honored with Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation’s Safe & Stable Homes Firm of the Year AwardNovember 13, 2019
- August 15, 2019
- Taylor English’s Vice Chair Ilene Berman Selected By Corporate Counsel As A 2018 National Women In Law HonoreeAugust 30, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- May 3, 2014
- August 24, 2020
- Entertainment, Sports and Media
- Government and Internal Investigations
- Leisure and Hospitality
- Restaurant, Food and Beverage, and Licensing
- Youth-Serving Organizations
Emory University School of Law, JD, with distinction, 1990
- National Order of the Coif
Cornell University, School of Industrial and Labor Relations, BS, 1986
Courts & Adjudicative Bodies
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
Corporate Counsel’s 2018 National Women in Law, Collaborative Leadership Honoree
The Best Lawyers in America®, 2019 - 2021
Georgia Trend Legal Elite, Employment, Labor, and Immigration, 2011, 2013 and 2020