Taylor English allows me to practice and bill from the viewpoint of the client – seeking success with fairness in every engagement.
Henry M. Quillian III nationally litigates, arbitrates and solves commercial disputes in the construction, real estate, insurance, intellectual property and general business sectors. He was voted by peers as a Top 100 lawyer for eleven consecutive years in Georgia Super Lawyers’ poll and has been selected since 1997 as one of Georgia’s Legal Elite by Georgia Trend Magazine. From 2013 to 2020, he was selected for the "Best Lawyers in America." He is "AV" rated by Martindale-Hubbell®.
Mr. Quillian has a depth of knowledge in the construction industry that he regularly uses to benefit contractors, owners and subcontractors and he has chaired the Atlanta Bar Association Construction Law Section. A Duke University engineering-educated patent lawyer, he also litigates trademark, patent, trade secret misappropriation and personal injury product liability cases. He has successfully handled antitrust, insurance coverage, marble mining, RICO, shareholder rights and covenant not-to-compete cases. He has served the Federal Bar Association as national general counsel, as Atlanta Chapter president and as National Younger Lawyers chair.
Mr. Quillian has succeeded in handling multimillion-dollar litigation across the nation and internationally, including many cases with numerous parties. He also acts as a mediator and arbitrator providing services through Bay Mediation & Arbitration Services LLC.
Mr. Quillian is an elder on Session of Northwest Presbyterian Church and a Scoutmaster. He married in 1985 and is a father of two.
Foundation of the Federal Bar Association, Past President
Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
Construction Law Society of America, Fellow
Atlanta Bar Association, Construction Section Chair, 2004-2005; Litigation Section; Intellectual Property Section
Federal Bar Association, National General Counsel, 1998-2000, Atlanta Chapter President, 1996-1997, National Younger Lawyers Chair, 1997-1998, Atlanta Chapter Executive Committee, 1989-2006; Atlanta Chapter Advisory Council, 2006-present, Member, 1988-present
American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member, 1984-2017
State Bar of Georgia, Intellectual Property Law Section, General Practice & Trial Law Section
Phoenix District Merit Badge Clinic Chair 2010-2015
Assistant Scoutmaster, Boy Scouts of America, Troop 197, 2007-present
Cubmaster, Boy Scouts of America, Pack 197, 2006
Elder of Northwest Presbyterian Church, 1994-1997, 2004-2006, 2015-2017
Represented defendant telecommunications conglomerate in patent declaratory judgment action concerning six cable network data prioritization patents it owned. Achieved dismissal of case initially for lack of subject matter jurisdiction under declaratory judgment act and after reversal at the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, achieved dismissal for lack of personal jurisdiction.
After a six week jury trial presenting 17 consolidated, yet individually proved plaintiff’s cases, obtained a civil conspiracy to defraud verdict in the total amount of $3.5 million on behalf of each of 17 investors in a commercial building arising from fraud in the financing of the purchase. In the same trial, obtained judgment for an additional $500,000 in punitive damages against the syndicator.
- Eucebia Lopez Carbajal and 24 other Plaintiffs v. Williams Erection Company, The Atlanta Botanical Garden, Inc., Atlas Piers of Atlanta, Inc. et al
Successfully resolved 16 lawsuits brought by 25 injured plaintiffs and one descendant's estate who fell when the canopy walk under construction fell at The Atlanta Botanical Gardens. There were 11 defendants in this set of cases.
Represented Expanded Technologies, a leading manufacturer of expanded metals for the HVAC filter industry, in a suit for declaratory judgments of non-infringement, invalidity and unenforceability of patent held by competitor. The litigation resulted in in a favorable confidential settlement.
Defended factory and factory owner in nuisance claim by condominium developer asserting that factory caused condominiums to vibrate, thus deterring sales of many units. Forestalled injunction for year, while plant relocated and expanded.
Assisted client in negotiation of design build contract for very large warehouse in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Pillon Communities, Inc. v. Faircloth Homes, Inc., G. Eddie Faircloth, Houseplans, Inc., and Craig Peel
Recovered and obtained injunction for large home builder for copyright infringement of architectural plans.
Won summary judgment so convincingly for the defendant in wrongful death action arising from trenching accident that plaintiff did not appeal.
Obtained $1.3 Million judgment on behalf of nationwide restaurant chain against defaulting contractor.
Won summary judgment for steel subcontractor on contention that client was alter ego of another corporation and succeeded in staying arbitration against client.
- Atlanta Electrical Distributors, LLC v. Choate Construction Company, Fidelity and Deposit Company of Maryland, et al
Recovered on payment bond claim for electrical components distributor on the UGA Fraternity Row project.
Recovered for material supplier in claim for payment and defended counter-claims asserting defective materials and construction delays.
- Aim Steel Inc. v. Pinnacle Prime Contractors, Inc. and Hartford Fire Insurance Company and Pinnacle Prime Contractors, Inc
Recovered on Payment Bond for steel subcontractor while overcoming counterclaim.
Recovered on mechanics lien by overcoming contract price defense asserted by owner where general contractor defaulted on project.
Obtained Temporary Restraining Order freezing assets of contractor under Georgia RICO.
- Nova Quality Assurance Consulting Services, LLC f.k.a. Capri Quality Assurance Consulting Services, LLC v. MGM Resorts International, et al
Recovered for breach of contract and mechanics lien under consulting contract on the beleaguered City Center Project in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Represented architectural firm in case brought by mansion owner contending negligent construction and design of a large elevated patio with numerous planters, involving geotechnical and flashing issues.
Obtained TRO and Preliminary Injunction in favor of corporate entity and its officer staying an arbitration improvidently brought against them in the American Arbitration Association on the theory that they are alter egos of another company.
Recovered for home builder for copyright infringement of architectural plans and obtained injunction.
- December 16, 2020
- January 31, 2020
- October 23, 2019
- April 11, 2019
- March 8, 2018
- Construction Lawyers Society of AmericaNovember 30, 2017
- "UGA Student Chapter," University of Georgia School of LawNovember 2017
- "Construction Law for The General Practitioner," Institute of Continuing Legal Education: State Bar SeriesAugust 17, 2017
- "Document and Strategy Considerations When Filing a Lawsuit," 2017 Beginning Lawyers Program, State Bar of GeorgiaFebruary 27, 2017
- "A Practical Guide to Enforcing Mechanics’ Lien And Payment Bond Rights While Avoiding Waiver In Georgia," Lien Law ReviewNovember 3, 2016
- "Georgia's Right to Repair Act and What it Means for Your Clients," Construction Law for the General Practitioner, Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia SeminarApril 14, 2016
- "Starting a Lawsuit: The Whys and Wherefores of Required Procedures and Documents," 2016 Beginning Lawyers Program, State Bar of GeorgiaFebruary 22, 2016
- August 27, 2015
- "Georgia's Right to Repair Act and What it Means for Your Clients," ICLE Construction Law for the General PractitionerApril 14, 2015
- "Starting a Lawsuit: The Whys and Wherefores of Required Procedures and Documents," Beginning Lawyers Program, State Bar of GeorgiaFebruary 23, 2015
- "Construction Law for the General Practitioner," ICLE, Construction2014
- April 25, 2014
- "Starting a Lawsuit: The Whys and Wherefores of Required Procedure," ICLE GA Beginning Lawyers ProgramFebruary 25, 2014
- "AIA Construction Contracts," Lorman Education Services, Construction2013
- "Construction Law for the General Practitioner," ICLE, Construction2013
- February 25, 2013
- January 25, 2013
- Transition to the Practice of Law Seminar, State Bar of Georgia2012
- AIA Construction Contracts2012
- "Construction Law for the General Practicioner," Atlanta Bar Association, Construction2011
- Moderator, Speaker, "Comparing AIA and ConsensusDOCs," Lorman Education Services2009
- "Construction Law for the General Practitioner," ICLE Georgia2009
- "Comparing 2007 AIA Contracts to 1997 AIA Contracts," Lorman Education Services2007
- "Construction Law Through the Lens of the AIA Form Contracts," Lorman Education Services2004
- "Danger: Your Payment Bond May Nix Your Subcontract," Steamboat Springs Atlanta Bar Association (SkiLE)March 2000
- "When Disaster Strikes: The Essential Elements of Surety Bonds and Surety Claims," Steamboat Springs Atlanta Bar Association (SkiLE)March 2000
- "Trade Secrets as a Shackle to Employee Mobility," Construction Management Association of America1993
- March 14, 2019
- "Construction Executives: Talk Less and Listen More for an Effective Deposition," Construction Executive Risk ManagementOctober 11, 2016
- "Theories of Entitlement to Cost Recovery Under International Construction Contracts," International Federation of Consulting Engineers1989
- "Proof and Presentation of Damages," International Federation of Consulting Engineers1989
- March 4, 2020
- July 17, 2019
- June 19, 2019
- December 6, 2018
- December 1, 2018
- Henry Quillian Elected As President of The Foundation of The Federal Bar Association, Duke University Alumni Class NotesNovember 29, 2018
- May 8, 2018
- September 22, 2017
- “24 Taylor English Attorneys Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America,” Atlanta Patch and Atlanta CitybizlistSeptember 13, 2017
- December 16, 2016
- December 16, 2016
- "17 Taylor English Attorneys Achieve Top Recognition in 2016 Super Lawyers Business Edition," Atlanta CitybizlistDecember 16, 2016
- December 16, 2016
- August 17, 2016
- August 17, 2016
- January 6, 2016
- WSB News features attorney Henry M. Quillian III on use of Georgia RICO law to recover embezzled assets (video)October 20, 2010
- Marietta Daily Journal Interviews Taylor English Attorney Henry Quillian on use of Georgia RICO Statute to Help Client Recover Embezzled AssetsOctober 16, 2010
- August 20, 2020
- February 24, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- February 20, 2019
- December 6, 2018
- Taylor English’s Henry M. Quillian III Named President of The Foundation of the Federal Bar AssociationNovember 7, 2018
- Taylor English Attorneys Recognized By Construction Lawyers Society of America and Diversity Law InstituteNovember 6, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- February 22, 2018
- February 23, 2017
- December 15, 2016
- December 13, 2016
- August 15, 2016
- February 19, 2016
- December 1, 2015
- August 17, 2015
- February 20, 2015
- December 1, 2014
- August 18, 2014
- February 21, 2013
- December 5, 2012
- August 24, 2012
- February 28, 2012
- December 16, 2010
- March 4, 2010
- November 4, 2009
- July 31, 2009
- By: Henry M. Quillian III and David ForestnerJuly 18, 2018
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Intellectual Property
- Financial Institutions
University of Georgia School of Law, JD, cum laude, 1988
Duke University, BSE, Mechanical Engineering, magna cum laude, 1985
District of Columbia
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Courts & Adjudicative Bodies
Supreme Court of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
Construction Law Society of America, 2016
"2013 Top Lawyer" in Construction and Intellectual Property, American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers in America®, 2013-2021
Georgia Super Lawyers Top 100, 2009-2016
Georgia Super Lawyers, 2004-2020
Georgia Trend's Legal Elite, Intellectual Property Law, 2007-2010, General Practice/Trial Law, 2012-2014, Construction/Real Estate Law, 2015-2016, 2018
America’s Top 100 Attorneys®, Lifetime Achievement, 2016